Stick trad grip left hand slip sliding away

Take some tape and wrap the stick about 5 times right where the stick passes through your middle and ring fingers.
When you play don't let the tape slip back in your hand.
After a few weeks remove the tape and the problem will be gone.
You will feel the tape between your fingers and you will adjust your grip on the stick automatically to keep it there. This will train you not to let the stick slip.
This is an old Drum Corps trick..

You don't have to ever remove the tape if you don't wan't to.
There is no harm in having a band of tape on your sticks.
It works with matched grip too.

I have the same problem. I switched to Vic Firth sticks. I think they have a different type of lacquer that helps me keep the stick in place. I tried using stick wax, it makes quite a mess.
The wax had a blue tint, and it was everywhere. If I set the sticks down, I had to be careful where I set them because the wax would pick dust and dirt. It did end the slippage problem though. I still have quite a few pair of the other brand of sticks, someone suggested I try using rosin. Be careful, don't get a death grip on the sticks, or you'll risk more problems.

crash,
exactly my experience!! As soon as I switched to Vic Firth (from Vic Firth, but my 1st pair of sticks had no white lacquer and was really 'slippery') those problems were gone! I'm glad to never have had to experiment with tape, wax or whatever.

I've heard that the VF sticks get slippery when the hands start to sweat but my hands (or almost) don't sweat so this is no problem for me.

I have some VF marching signature sticks (Scott Johnson) and although they have lacquer, too (but not the white one, it's some faint beige hue) they tend to slip a bit so I need to be more careful when practicing with them (heavy, for more workout).

I'd try different sticks the next time being in a music store to find out which sticks - except from length, weight, size - also provide good grip because I simply have no nerves to deal with 'slippery' sticks, period. You could also adjust your grip slightly to make up for slipping, but as soon as it's more than a tiny bit to keep the stick in your hands it's the wrong stick IMO.

I have the same problem. I switched to Vic Firth sticks. I think they have a different type of lacquer that helps me keep the stick in place. I tried using stick wax, it makes quite a mess.
The wax had a blue tint, and it was everywhere. If I set the sticks down, I had to be careful where I set them because the wax would pick dust and dirt. It did end the slippage problem though. I still have quite a few pair of the other brand of sticks, someone suggested I try using rosin. Be careful, don't get a death grip on the sticks, or you'll risk more problems.

sounds like you were putting way too much wax on

Ive always had great success with the wax.....I have heard a lot of people say they disliked it though......

I use it very sparingly and enjoy it very much

...and yeah....I use nothing but Vic...best sticks hands down for Rock, Jazz, Drum Corp. etc etc ....best sticks

for Rock I use SD9 Driver....love them... their weight and balance just suits me perfectly

for Jazz I use the Erskine originals ...these things are butter.....amazing cymbal touch

and for Drum Corp.. the Ralph Hardimons ....original and indoor depending on the situation......love these as well

they are all fantastic

Thanks everyone.
Been using matched for a long time (over 35 years).

Trad has more dynamics to me.

I can bounce it better also.

Just need to keep working on it.

Doing my same old rudiments.

Ordered some Cappella Aluminium sticks and 2 pairs of Jojo Mayers.

JOJO MAYER IS BEEEAAAASSSSSSTTT!

My fav drummer and Igoe as teachers.

Wonderful people who stop me getting down on life.

Both drummers have the most immaculate hands.

I've heard JOJO is going to deconstruct the bassdrum pedal in a dvd soon.

Moontheloon, you may be right. I may have been using too much stick wax. The sticks didn't slip, but it was crazy! I had wax everywhere. What a laugh that was! When I changed sticks, I didn't need the wax anymore. Oh well, at least I can laugh about it.

Good suggestions by all for fixing the problem, if your wondering why it's slipping it's usually because your not keeping steady or constant pressure under the thumb. Alot of kids think they aren't holding tight enough when learning to grip the stick but it's usually not an issue of how much pressure your using but how consistent the pressure is. So try not to tighten up to much, you want to have a pretty loose grip. Instead try to focus on keeping the thumb tite constantly always with about the same amount of force.

Good suggestions by all for fixing the problem, if your wondering why it's slipping it's usually because your not keeping steady or constant pressure under the thumb. Alot of kids think they aren't holding tight enough when learning to grip the stick but it's usually not an issue of how much pressure your using but how consistent the pressure is. So try not to tighten up to much, you want to have a pretty loose grip. Instead try to focus on keeping the thumb tite constantly always with about the same amount of force.

Going through the stick control book using trad grip.

I used to go through pages 5 and 6 every day but now I'm learning trad,I will repractice them (I love those exercises).

Was listening to this awesome jazz fusion number with really prog sounding keys on a warm day here in Melbourne 30c.

Brand X - what a band!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ze9q7R-m9A

Back