Stick Control

gbftats

How important is it to the modern drummer? I have gotten half way through the book and keep asking myself "how much of this am i actually going to use?" I can see in terms of Independence it is helpful, but in the long run aren't we mostly just playing single and double stroke roll variations? Please correct me if im wrong!

toddbishop

Platinum Member
Stick Control is more about conditioning than it is about vocabulary. You don't really "get through" it any more than an athlete gets through jumping jacks or whatever; you don't go jogging once and say "right, one foot in front of the other, fast. I get it. Now what?"

The reason for it is: the better conditioned your hands are, the more relaxed you will be behind the drums, the easier it will be execute your ideas, the better your note placement, the faster your reaction time, and the faster you will recover from mistakes.

bobdadruma

Platinum Member
Don't forget, You can play the exercises with your feet on a double pedal.
You can play the exercises between your hand and foot while doing a ride with the other hand.

gbftats

thanks for clearing that up toddbishop, working on singles, doubles, and paradiddles it not adequate conditioning?