Stick Control - Your Routine

How did you get through Stone's Stick Control? What was your routine? How many patterns is it reasonable to work on in a week? Did you finish one set of exercises before moving on to the next, or did you practice patterns from a couple of exercises? How many tempos and dynamic levels did you use? Did you do the recommended 20 repeats at all the same dynamic level, or did you practice each dynamic level separately? I'm thinking that keeping the dynamic level constant makes more sense.

I'm starting drumming again, and I'm developing my workout routine. I'm an accomplished guitar player, and I've always had pretty good discipline about maintaining control of my technique during practice. Picking up and mastering new musical skills is something I'm very experienced with. I'm planning on sticking to one set of exercises per week. I'm thinking of using 3 or 4 tempos. I don't want to want to bite off more than I can chew, but I want to be as thorough as reasonably possible. Just looking for some guidance on what most players do, and where to start.

Thanks.

ChStaudenmann

Hi.

Recently i took some pieces of paper and wrote instructions on how to play the exercises on them.
Like for example: - Play right hand singlestrokes as Rimshot, Play left hand doubles on toms, Play right and left hand singlestrokes as Cymbalcrash, play pianissimo, play crescendo-decrescendo etc…

Then i go through a series of exercises, pick one piece of paper from the stack and play the exercise that way.

This adds some surprise and randomness to Stick Control.

ronyd

Silver Member
Matt Patella is the guy you want for sure. Matt has been teaching for 50 years, and studied with Morello and Chapin. Matt is a strong advocate of Stick Control. He's got so many different ways to practice lines 1-72. He uses what he calls "formulas" and vamps. Just check out his vids and he explains this concept very clearly and slow.

granito_man

Well, as for me.
As i'm just learning the blues shuffle, i tried to make a routine for blues fills. So i'm using the paradiddle exercise rlrr-lrll, but with a triplet feel.
Something like rlr - rlr -llr - lrr (meaning a whole bar, i usually try to play the "l" as a ghost notes on the snare, and i move the "r" around cymbals and toms. i'm also trying to mark 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 with kick and 2-4 with pedal hi hat. I think that just master this exercise is going to take me a lot of time....

Last edited:

ronyd

Silver Member
Well, as for me.
As i'm just learning the blues shuffle, i tried to make a routine for blues fills. So i'm using the paradiddle exercise rlrr-lrll, but with a triplet feel.
Something like rlr - rlr -llr - lrr (meaning a whole bar, i usually try to play the "l" as a ghost notes on the snare, and i move the "r" around cymbals and toms. i'm also trying to mark 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 with kick and 2-4 with pedal hi hat. I think that just master this exercise is going to take me a lot of time....
Give the double paraddidle a go. Fits perfectly also.

ronyd

Silver Member
For Exercises 1-72

1. Play hand patterns on snare over top of different foot ostinatos (samba, baion, tumbao etc). O

2. Move hands around kit.

3. Combine exercises to create 4 bar phrases.

ronyd

Silver Member
BTW, I had mentioned Matt Patella in previous thread. I just got back from a 3 day one-on-one (basically all day sessions) with Matt in NJ. Great guy, great teacher, with endless possibilities on how he approaches hand development and limb coordination using stick control. He studied with Joe Morello way back when even before Morello's books and videos. So what he teaches comes from the Morello camp, plus more.

Check his site out. Matt breaks everything down slow with PDFs.

Boomka

Platinum Member
For Exercises 1-72

1. Play hand patterns on snare over top of different foot ostinatos (samba, baion, tumbao etc). O

2. Move hands around kit.

3. Combine exercises to create 4 bar phrases.
I've done a lot of this exact exercise.

Another idea in the same vein: you play all the exercises through as 16ths using all the possible BD variations within 2 beats. I.e. like Chaffee's Fat Back exercises. HH plays 1/4s, 1/8s, upbeats, 2+4, whatever. Does wonders.