Stick Control:New old practice method

Jeremy Bender

Platinum Member
I'm going back to basics using this practice method presented here handed down from the author through Joe Morello to Matt Patella https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ioTQribc39E

I'm looking forward to seeing any noticeable improvements in hand evenness!

Last edited:
That's rough duty. He's obviously very knowledgeable, but I'm confused that he's talking about even heights, while his heights are all over the place. Different tolerances I guess. It's also strange to me when I see technique guys doing the extra lift before the note-- that's obviously an unnecessary movement. The whole point of doing a full stroke is that you end the stroke at the right height for the next stroke. The habitual extra lift is the first thing I try to eliminate with students trying to develop consistency and control over their dynamics.

That's rough duty. He's obviously very knowledgeable, but I'm confused that he's talking about even heights, while his heights are all over the place. Different tolerances I guess. It's also strange to me when I see technique guys doing the extra lift before the note-- that's obviously an unnecessary movement. The whole point of doing a full stroke is that you end the stroke at the right height for the next stroke. The habitual extra lift is the first thing I try to eliminate with students trying to develop consistency and control over their dynamics.

If those exercises help you with evenness, then that's great. But remember that if you're diving into SC, don't spend hours of reps ingraining bad habits. When the stick comes back, don't wind up, just send the stick back down, let the rebound bring it back up. The thing that Morello used to teach was what he called "accepting the rebound" and that means throwing the stick down and letting your wrists come back with the stick. If just the stick comes back, then you've lost your grip. Maybe that's why he keeps winding up with all of that extra motion.

Last edited:

It sounds like you believe in playing as low as possible for a given volume.

I wouldn't go to Matt for everything, but if you want to know about the traditional methods of using SC you get it as close to first hand as you can get today right there.

Do I teach my students today that way, not really, but I'm certainly a better teacher for knowing it. It really depends.

Yes, the reason I posted the video was to present an approach to practicing the exercises. Not so much stick rebound technique but the 4 bars/ vamp method.

Personally, I'm finding it very beneficial. I'm practicing the three different heights mentioned on three separate days then repeat again three days ad infinitum, a different tempo each day.
It is helping with the evenness of sound trying to imagine being someone in the next room listening- unable to distinguish which hand is which or if it is all just one hand playing in it's sound quality.
Your own results may be different of course.

Just pointing out that this doesn't directly address a major cause of unevenness between hands-- that I see with my students, at least. It doesn't do much good to have the sticks at the same height at the end of the stroke if you're still lifting the stick before the next note.

It sounds like you believe in playing as low as possible for a given volume.

No-- it's just about having good control and a clean stroke, and being able to accurately judge your heights, so you can maintain an even sound and volume. The point of the level system is that you end the stroke at the right height for the next stroke; the extra lift serves no purpose. It's just habit, and it defeats the purpose of the system.

Back