Stick between index and middle finger

fess

Does anyone else do this? I've always had a problem with my right (dominant) hand cramping after a while, so I would switch the stick between my index and middle finger. I've been doing it for years and I'm almost as good with it there as in the normal position. I do have a callous on the inside of my index finger though and need a band-aid there when I play. (Sorry, just realized I'm in the wrong section with this)

Last edited:

sumdrumguy

Yes, I do. For at least 10 years now.

I shift to forefinger and thumb for finger technique. Otherwise my sticks float loosely between middle finger and thumb, with the the ring and little finger supporting.

sumdrumguy

Interesting. My very first drum clinic was Carmine Appice. :) So long ago, it feels like another lifetime.

I sat on the floor, about 4 feet away from his left kick, with a clear view of his snare drum. My ears got blasted, and I loved every second of it.

lsits

Gold Member
Bev Bevan does that too. I think it's because he was taught to play mallets in the orchestra.

Icetech

Gold Member
I do it now and then, i play 2-4 hours every night and have never been able to get my upper right arm to stop cramping on songs with long steady hats (b52's and such) so i will switch fingers if it gets too bad.. what sucks is i'm usually ok until it gets into my head.. then it gets worse:)

BTW.. been listening to the live Beck Bogert Appice album lately... just holy crap.. I am in love with Carmine.. i think if i made a dictionary i would put his picture under "Rock Drummer" not just that album. but everything i see him in pretty is so good..

feldiefeld

I have been using the middle finger and thumb as my main fulcrum in germa and american grip for a long time. I believe it is the way to go. I got the idea from Weckl years ago in his technique video for Carl Fischer. I've never looked back. I love it.

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
But but but...It's not the "drum way"

:)

I use it on really fast 8ths on the ride like on The Allman Brothers "One Way Out", but only when I start to tire.

It's not my favorite look, it looks like I'm giving the finger.

A really long finger.