Stewart Copeland

"Message in a Bottle" is amazing! Probably one of my favourite songs to play on drums, especially the end.

I'm surprised nobody's mentioned anything about Copeland's snare sound yet. I love it! You can kind of hear a similar "crack" in the snare sounds of todays drummers that he influenced e.g. Travis Barker.

Lol, the guys a wind up merchant. Agree wih him on the snobbery bit though. Quite interminable some of them.

Well, that's the whole thing, innit? He's playing off a stereotype, and stereotypes come about because people tend to act a certain way.

A lot of jazz is crap. But a lot of jazz is also amazing. I love playing jazz, as best I can, but I would never want to hang out with "jazz fans". I think fans of just about anything are pretty annoying.

Stewart Copeland shall always be my #1 drummer of all time,He is the reason in 1978
i got in Jr high school band.The man rocks,have you checked out the video from the drum
fest, great, ON tracks like "Bombs Away" the open measures are great,I try to play some
of his style when i play,Sometimes at church in pratice i will get caught up in a few bars,
and start banging on the ride on forget sometimes .well stewart rocks

Cheers for that Tom.

I must say...his kit sounded awesome through that PA at the Millenium Stadium :)

I was just to the left of the stage, sitting in the stands...pretty decent view!

he is a mind blowing drummer Mr. Copeland. I think he is a legend, and will always be for sure :D

What a genius this man is. Message In A Bottle and Murder By Numbers are two of the greatest drum tracks of all time. And the breaks at the end of No Time This Time (especially the tripelet-y one monster at 2:49) are awesome.

Do you think Copeland was pissed when Sting went off and did a bunch of years/albums/tours with strictly jazz musicians? Was that the reason for his [laughable] quotes? Dunno. Anyway - good drummer. Good in one band (like Moon in the Who...Probably wouldn't care to hear him in another group) and that's all you need in this world.

Fortunately, despite being a "jazz drummer" I get laid sometimes too.

Do you think Copeland was pissed when Sting went off and did a bunch of years/albums/tours with strictly jazz musicians? Was that the reason for his [laughable] quotes? Dunno. Anyway - good drummer. Good in one band (like Moon in the Who...Probably wouldn't care to hear him in another group) and that's all you need in this world.

Fortunately, despite being a "jazz drummer" I get laid sometimes too.

I disagree.

I think that Copeland would have been great in lots of groups for many of the reasons that Moon wouldn't have been.

Moon's problem was twofold: overplaying and timing (and you could certainly break that down further to other problems like technique and such, but generally speaking, these were the main issues).

Copeland had excellent timing and rarely overplayed. Most of his major fills came in real rockers (e.g. Bombs Away), however on tunes like Murder By Numbers, it is really tasteful and fitting.

Well okay. But what other bands did he play in? Were people clamoring to get him in their band? What I meant by the Moon comparison is that Copeland's playing seemed perfectly suited for that band. His feel/influences seemed to really give that group their specific sound, much like Moon. But I couldn't imagine Moon playing with another group and I haven't heard a band that would utilize Copeland's strengths with what he did with the Police - those reggae-inspired grooves, etc.

i saw him in dublin a few weeks back with the police was amazing well he was anyway never took my eyes off him

Well okay. But what other bands did he play in? Were people clamoring to get him in their band? What I meant by the Moon comparison is that Copeland's playing seemed perfectly suited for that band. His feel/influences seemed to really give that group their specific sound, much like Moon. But I couldn't imagine Moon playing with another group and I haven't heard a band that would utilize Copeland's strengths with what he did with the Police - those reggae-inspired grooves, etc.

Put that way it makes sense. The Police did utilize his reggae-strengths perfectly, and he probably wouldn't have ever sounded better with anyone else. I agree with that. I just think he could have done lots of non-reggae influenced stuff. Somewhere near the beginning of this thread is a very impressive list of songs he worked for movies and the like that no doubt requires serious versatility.

i saw him yesterday, in the police tour he came all the way to Argentina i cant believe it
he is such an influence in my playing and he was the one who made me start playing drums.

Went to a company BBQ today, played games and won swag.

I won two tickets to The Police at the Gorge in George, Washington, on July 12.

Wooo HOOO! I finally get to see one of my favorite drummers (and favorite bands) of all time, live, at one of the most spectacular venues in North America. On the company dime!

I'm jazzed.

:D

Back