Stewart Copeland - Sheet music?

TMe

Does anyone know where I can get reasonably accurate sheet music or tabs for Stewart Copeland's drumming on the first two Police albums?

What's your definition of reasonably accurate?

"Reasonably accurate" means it would take me less time to make corrections than to start from scratch. Ideally, a transcription would also include suggestions for stickings, but that's probably asking too much.

"Reasonably accurate" means it would take me less time to make corrections than to start from scratch. Ideally, a transcription would also include suggestions for stickings, but that's probably asking too much.

I don't think you'll get a full transcription with stickings, but there are analysis video of his playing to get an idea.

I also don't think you will find one with accurate ride bell patterns. To be honest, I think finding transcriptions is a fools errand for Stewart since he never plays the same thing twice.

Songsterr would have the most songs, but I would see if you could find some individually done transcriptions: https://www.bradallendrums.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/03/Message-In-A-Bottle.pdf

Copeland's playing is so erratic and non linear it would be very hard to get any "reasonably accurate" transcription. Peart is easy, Bonham a little less but doable, Copeland- forget it!

Plus he used delays esp on the high hats as explained in Rob Brown's video. Copeland did have a signature ride pattern that could be transcribed though like Peart's.

If you are looking to learn the early police songs I would say you would have to learn them by ear as there isnt much sheet music out there as Copeland usually improvised the drum parts when recording. If you have a samsung phone there is a speed function available so you can slow it right down when transcribing. Youtube also has the same function. Learning things by ear and transcribing them will help you make the connection between what you see(read) and what you hear. I've been doing this with my favourite drummers and holy shit it has improved my drumming. Hope this helps.

Learning things by ear and transcribing them will help you...

Yeah, I'm not so great at that. The other night I was transcribing some old recordings of my own playing, and I couldn't figure out what I was doing during some of the fills.

Back