Steve Jordan

Levi

Hey I haven't seen any threads around here on Steve Jordan.

Steve is probably my favourite drummer, just his whole outlook and perspective on drumming is so... good. I just love the way he just grooves in the pocket. And his session work- name any musician and he's probably played with them. Well maybe not but you get the idea.

There must be lots of other Steve Jordan fans out there.

Polishdrummer23

Check out his DVD all about groove. It's not flashy but he really drives home the importance of carrying a straight groove through a song, and it has great footage of him jamming with Bernie Warol on keys and several guitarists.

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
He’s been a hero of mine since he debuted on the Blues Brothers album back in ‘78. Love that guy.

C.M. Jones

I started drumming in 1984, when Jordan was the full-time drummer on the set of Late Night with David Letterman. I've always admired Jordan's skills. I can't call him a major influence, but, in my formative years, I picked up a few chops from him through my Late Night viewings. Nostalgic times.

Benthedrummer

Mr Jordan absolutely owned that room.

Even the bricks in the wall were dancing and swaying their butts.

I've never heard such an effective, beautiful, relentless groove such as this.

Years and years of experience comes down to this! No flashy polyrhythms, no silly complexities.....WOW!

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
I started drumming in 1984, when Jordan was the full-time drummer on the set of Late Night with David Letterman. I've always admired Jordan's skills. I can't call him a major influence, but, in my formative years, I picked up a few chops from him through my Late Night viewings. Nostalgic times.
Jordans single stroke rolls on the floor toms on #1 of the Top Ten list always knocked me out.

Last edited:

C.M. Jones

[QUOTE="Benthedrummer, post: 1690677, member: 259717"
Years and years of experience comes down to this! No flashy polyrhythms, no silly complexities.....WOW!
[/QUOTE]

You have quite succinctly pinpointed the essence of great drumming. It's not about complexity but rather feel. When you can captivate listeners with the most simplistic of patterns, you've finally arrived as a drummer. To me, the capacity is an innate one that, unlike paradiddles, cannot be taught.