Steve Gadd's 32nd Note Lick

Yeah, I fell in love with that lick the first time I heard it, way way back when. Then I bought the Up Close video and started to woodshed it. I used to find a way to stick it in almost everything I played for a while there. One of the problems with lifting Gadd's stuff is it's so obvious where you're getting it from. But I still sneak that figure in when I get a chance.

Yeah, I fell in love with that lick the first time I heard it, way way back when. Then I bought the Up Close video and started to woodshed it. I used to find a way to stick it in almost everything I played for a while there. One of the problems with lifting Gadd's stuff is it's so obvious where you're getting it from. But I still sneak that figure in when I get a chance.

Haha, thats true, you can't really hide it very well! I guess its because his work is so creative and original, that there's very little common ground.

Wow, awesome. Very nice playing.

you're a studious, good player, not to mention industrious. i liked your ice skating piece-cool gig...do you think i could borrow your set this weekend so i can get some chicks? it's cool.

I first heard that lick on the break from the Rickie Lee Jones song Chuck E's in Love. Loved it. Just a simple little 32nd note break in the middle of the song that you only heard once. Tasty!

I've just sussed Gadd's 50 ways to leave your lover groove, but it doesn't sound like Gadd. How many years will that take?

Davo

Very nice as always luke, keep up the good work, might have to give that one a shot, looks pretty intense.

you're a studious, good player, not to mention industrious. i liked your ice skating piece-cool gig...do you think i could borrow your set this weekend so i can get some chicks? it's cool.

Thank you for your kind words! And sure, have at it, lol.

I first heard that lick on the break from the Rickie Lee Jones song Chuck E's in Love. Loved it. Just a simple little 32nd note break in the middle of the song that you only heard once. Tasty!

From what I understand, thats the origin of it. I think thats the only place he plays it!

I've just sussed Gadd's 50 ways to leave your lover groove, but it doesn't sound like Gadd. How many years will that take?

Davo

Thats a pretty cool groove, it takes a light touch and a good time feel to make it feel right, I haven't had a look at it in a loooong time, thanks for reminding me!

Very nice as always luke, keep up the good work, might have to give that one a shot, looks pretty intense.

Do it! You'll fall in love with it quickly :D

Back