Steve Gadd Livestream from the Baked Potato this Saturday

TK-421

Hey DW,

I'm sure many of you have heard of the legendary Baked Potato jazz club in Los Angeles, where many greats regularly play such as Vinnie Colaiuta, Virgil Donati, Chad Wackerman, Danny Carey, Simon Phillips and countless others. I'm fortunate to live in LA, so I've been there many times. I'm also on their email list, and just got an email from them announcing some upcoming livestream shows, which they're doing since the club cannot open to the public due to the coronavirus.

So if you've ever wanted to watch a show at the Baked Potato but don't live in LA, now is your chance! It is pay-per-view, but the amount is very reasonable—as of now ranging from $6 to $8 (USD), depending on the show (for reference, they usually charge $15 to $35 per person at the door plus a 2-drink minimum). I was fortunate enough to get a sneak peak a few weeks ago when they were testing the livestream. Both the video and audio quality are very good.

From their email:
"this is not some zoom stream..
Live 5 4K Camera Shoot full
sound...ONE of a KIND set up.."

(they're apparently not the best writers, but you get the idea).

Anyway, I just wanted to share this in case anyone is interested. For some of you, it might be the only way to see a show from there. And you'd be helping them stay afloat while riding out the lockdown.

Here is their calendar of upcoming shows, which includes Danny Carey on Friday. All times are PDT.

Last edited:

MntnMan62

I'm in NJ but I used to travel out to LA all the time for business. On one trip out I found out that the Zappa Plays Zappa band was playing there without Dweezil doing instrumental versions of the Zappa catalogue. So, I rented a car and drove out to The Baked Potato, found a choice seat at the bar and was treated to some fantastic Zappa. And wouldn't you know it but Gail and Diva Zappa were in attendance that night as well as Beverly D'Angelo, the actress. Anyway, thanks for the heads up on this. Even though none of the bands on the current calendar are tugging at me, I'm going to keep an eye out for the future as I believe we are in this lockdown for the long haul until a vaccine is developed and distributed.

TK-421

I'm in NJ but I used to travel out to LA all the time for business. On one trip out I found out that the Zappa Plays Zappa band was playing there without Dweezil doing instrumental versions of the Zappa catalogue. So, I rented a car and drove out to The Baked Potato, found a choice seat at the bar and was treated to some fantastic Zappa. And wouldn't you know it but Gail and Diva Zappa were in attendance that night as well as Beverly D'Angelo, the actress. Anyway, thanks for the heads up on this. Even though none of the bands on the current calendar are tugging at me, I'm going to keep an eye out for the future as I believe we are in this lockdown for the long haul until a vaccine is developed and distributed.
I've seen Zappa Plays Zappa at a different LA venue, and they were fantastic! I've also seen several members of that band, including the great Joe Travers on drums, at the Baked Potato. I don't know how many shows I've seen there over the years, but it has to be at least several dozen. And almost without exception, I've walked out of there completely blown away.

I'm going to check out the Webb All Stars livestream with Danny Carey, as they're Baked Potato regulars yet somehow I don't think I've seen them live (though I know I've seen each of the individual members play there in various groups, and they're all VERY good).

But keep checking back, as they're just getting started with this new endeavor and I'm sure they'll be adding more shows.

TK-421

I'm resurrecting this thread to let everyone know that the legend himself—Steve Gadd—will be doing a livestream from the Baked Potato this Saturday! This is something I'm sure a lot of you will want to check out.