Steve Ferrone

NouveauCliche

I did a search and didn't see him listed...so if he IS, sorry!

So Steve Ferrone...I was watching a Tom Petty DVD earlier (Live at the Olympic) and I forgot how much I truly enjoy his playing. He's SO solid and SO tasty...you couldn't break his backbeat with a bat. Every song was a lesson in groove and musicality in a rock type of setting. He's really mastered the "less is more" aspect of drumming...he has the chops to totally throw out some crazy 64th note 13 over 5 madness, but he plays for the song. The more drummers I hear, the less impressed by chops and the MORE impressed am I with drummers that can lay down a solid foundation in any type of music and still retain a very indetifiable voice. Steve Ferrone is one of those guys and I think he deserves all the work/praise he gets! From The Average White Band to Eric Clapton to David Sanborn to the great Johnny Cash, Steve Ferrone has proved that he's one of the best players out there! (plus he seems really cool from the interviews I've read/watched)

http://www.drummerworld.com/drummers/Steve_Ferrone.html

Re: Mr. Steve Ferrone - Groove Master

Pick up the pieces!

Yes, he could groove. And he did a wonderful job backing Eric Clapton unplugged.

Re: Mr. Steve Ferrone - Groove Master

Thinshells said:
Pick up the pieces!

Yes, he could groove. And he did a wonderful job backing Eric Clapton unplugged.

You stole my thunder dick...lol! Yes, he is smooth.

Re: Steve Ferrone PLAYS in Long Beach Jan 21, 2006!

THIS SATURDAY AT THE BLUE CAFE

Namm Show 2006 will be at The Blue Café this Saturday Jan 21st, 2006.

The headliner for this show is Steve Ferrone and His All-star band!
The members of this band have played with Jackson Browne, Eric
Clapton, Tom Petty and the Average White Band. A R@B Experience not
to be missed! On vocals for this band is Alex Ligertwood from
Santana. Alex sang the award winning song "I'm Winning" and played
with Carlos for years.

Opening the show will be Barry Sparks the Current bass player for
Dokken and Ted Nugent. He brings a great band that even has a small
Jazz influence. Along with Barry we understand Don Dokken will
come in and sing a couple of Dokken hits. Each year the best in the
world come by and jam. Names too big to announce!

Joe Wood and the Lonely Ones play at 5:30 Barry Sparks at 8:30 and
Steve Ferrone at 10:30 pm. to join The BC mailing list for discounts, free ticket giveaways, etc., send a blank email to: [email protected]

Do not miss this because you never know who will show up!!!!

UPCOMING SHOWS!

Jan 28th Women in Blues show with Sugah Daddy, Laurie Morvan Band
and Lisa Cee and the Beast of Honey. Private Party upstairs.

Feb 4th Eric Sardinas and the Midnight Blues Band with Joe Wood.

Tickets on sales for 15 dollars. 562-983-7111

Feb 11th Led Zepagain, Blue Cats and Scott Mallone with Johnny
Hawthorne

Feb 18th Double Headliner Canned Heat Anniversary Party and Roy
Rogers and the Delta Kings.

Feb 25th James Intveld and Justin Foutz and Joe Wood

TheBlueCafe.com - downtown Long Beach
210 The Promenade Long Beach, CA 90802
562-983-7111

"It's Good to Be King" , Tom Petty, Wildflowers cd. Quite simply one of the top shuffles ever recorded!

Can't believe I never posted in this thread. Steve Ferrone is solid as a rock. Love his playing with Chaka and George Duke. Any Ferrone fan should own the George Duke Band live DVD: Louis Johnson on bass, Paul Jackson Jnr on guitar. Yep, that's a serious band right there. The best track isn't on youtube yet so you'll have to make do with this one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IXhmyurhK5o.

It's strap-on heaven!! Hahaha, MAN, George Duke is too cool for words.

his funk playing?...check out "texas flyer" with freddie king from the "burglar" album.

"It's Good to Be King" , Tom Petty, Wildflowers cd. Quite simply one of the top shuffles ever recorded!
genius.

i first came across steve when he was playing with duran duran. i was sad to read later in MD he was not too thrilled to have been playing with them. in some ways i can see his angle, but i loved "notoious" and thought his playing on that album was sick.

Definitely one of the under enthused over players around. His playing with George Duke and with Chaka is phenomenal. I couldn't agree more with NouveauCliche abut his groove and his pocket. Although he did play with AWB, however, wasn't it JR that played on Pick up the Pieces?

Paul

I stand corrected!! Thank you

Don't thank me, thank Google and it's unnerving power to make you double check something you're absolutely sure about just in case you embarrass yourself in front of people you don't know and will never meet.

To be honest, Im not familiar with his work. He came to my work (motorcycle store) a year and a half a go and I recognized him. We talked for a while and hes a very, very nice guy. Always smileing. He has an English accent for those who dont know. He has come in a few times since then. A week and a half ago was the last time he came in. Again, smileing and very friendly. Always comes in, shakes my hand and says hello. Hes a big guy too. About 6'1 and probably 225-235.

I had a teacher that knew Steve and was trying to get me to play like that but I was into Neil Peart type fills and wasn't having any of that so I moved on...

Now I realize just how good he is....
He has an incredible deep pocket...

however, wasn't it JR that played on Pick up the Pieces?

I think it was Robbie McIntosh.....

I searched for JR about a month ago and didn't find a single thing either. Something will surface soon enough

JR has a cool Hot Licks video thats out of print...
I got lucky and found one used on Amazon...

He plays this funk groove solo at the begining of the tape thats off the hook!

I think it was Robbie McIntosh.....

Hmm, not sure about that. Robbie OD'd well early in the 70s. Anyone?

JR has a cool Hot Licks video thats out of print...I got lucky and found one used on Amazon...

Is it really? I picked it up no problems here in the UK. I still see it in drum stores. It's a gread vid but I want to see him play with a band. There's NO footage on the net or anywhere else as far as I can tell of him with a band. Absolutely friggin' ridiculous. Do a search for Travis Barker, 1000's of results; do a search for the most important pop-hit drummer of the last 20 years, and zippo. Such is life.

Hmm, not sure about that. Robbie OD'd well early in the 70s.

I thought he died during the recording of that Cd...but I could be wrong...
Its all good...

Is it really? I picked it up no problems here in the UK. I still see it in drum stores. It's a gread vid but I want to see him play with a band. There's NO footage on the net or anywhere else as far as I can tell of him with a band. Absolutely friggin' ridiculous. Do a search for Travis Barker, 1000's of results; do a search for the most important pop-hit drummer of the last 20 years, and zippo. Such is life.

Yeah I feel the same way about Mike Clark and Sonny Emory...

Clark is a beast and Emory was one of the original flash players...even Lang mentioned him as an influence....and ofcourse theres nothing on the web of those guys....

Type in Joey Jordison and you get a gazillion clips....
Nuff with the rantin back to topic!

Back