Stepped on my cymbal... warped?? help!

TripleStroke

I just got myself a brand new 16" Paiste Dark Energy Crash MKI

Basically I got it home... left it on the floor in its plastic bag...
Wasnt looking turned around stepped on the outer-ish edge by accident.
How I knew was I felt it cave in that moment, but I was quick enough to not put full pressure down on my foot and took my foot off instantly. But the bend was certainly felt for a moment I applied the initial pressure

After kicking myself in the balls I put my cymbal on flat table surface just to make sure there isn't any damage... sounds fine when I play it resting on my finger tip, but one thing I noticed is that when I put it on flat floor surface, I can notice that certain sides of the cymbal has more room between the edge of cymbal and the floor... exactly two perpendicular edge sides of the cymbal touch the floor completely, but the other two perpendicular sides have a small tiny gap before the floor, hence I can tap that edge and hear it touch the floor. I'm just afraid I have warped it?? no way? this thing is $470...

I have heard of people inverting their cymbals completely from applying full foot pressure on their cymbal and bending it BACK into place lol... so am I being paranoid here? Do the edges around the cymbal suppose to touch the ground completely without a gap? Or do you guys think it's just a slight variation in hammering out of the factory? I never bothered to see that with my other cymbals because I never stepped on them... and the rest of them aren't with me right now and can't get to the studio for another day.

Help!!

Last edited:

lefty2

Platinum Member
I think it should be fine. My wife threw my cym case on it's face and my Sig. full crash was turned inside out when I opened it. I asked her if she knew anything about it. She told me what she did. So before I pushed it back into shape, I told her, " you do realize that if this breaks I'm buying a new one don't you". That was many yrs ago probably over 20. I still have it, and still love it. I bought it in 91.

GetAgrippa

Platinum Member
Cymbals are finicky sometimes you can abuse them no problem and others just drop them and though it looks fine-sounds like crap (had that happen so I experimented with it). I have a 14 thin fast crash that is slightly warped now-if anything it sounds better. Sometimes these "accidents" can make "magical" things happen to your favor-as long as it sounds good I wouldn't let it bug me. It may move around (unbalanced) as you play but with any luck it will find it's happy place and be in position such the "magical sweet spot" on your cymbal is right in position. Got an old Zildjian cymbal that does that-you can spin it to any position then play and it moves till finds it's happy place-which positions it to the sweet spot on the cymbal to my good fortune.

newoldie

Silver Member
I have some experience with warped cymbals sounding fine.
I purchased a 17" Sabian AAXplosion off eBay 5 years ago and it arrived somewhat warped.

It was a thin cymbal and it opened really fast (it wasn't a fast crash, just a thin AAxplosion) and I immediately liked the sound. The singer in my band at that time poked fun at the look and insinuated it was inferior but I paid no mind as it seemed to crash quite well.

I first had contacted the eBay seller to ask if he knew this was warped since he said nothing in his ad; he simply replied he wasn't aware since it had been sitting in a bag for a while. Rather than try to return it, I've kept it, used it for almost every gig and practice and it still sounds good to me.

I don't think it's warped any more than it originally was.

lefty2

Platinum Member
The cymbal or the wife? ;)
lol. I've got them both still. I picked her up in 77.
GetAgrippa might be on to something about making the cym better. Maybe that's why that cym sounds so good today. For what ever reason I've always loved it.