stencil badge ID- anybody want to play

RacingBeat

Personally I enjoy sleuthing down old drums I find on craigslist....I guess maybe it's a subset of GAS, shall I call it Gear ID syndrome perhaps?

Don't know if anybody else suffers from this but if so I have a brain teaser for today,

I have this old bass drum I literally found in a junkpile awhile back, have been keeping it as décor in the jam room. My bass player and I got to talking about it the other day, even though I've got GIDS pretty bad, I must admit I'm stumped on what this is.

It's an eight lug kick drum, vertical grain firewood, re-rings and a tone muffler on it, dual rail mounts. The P badge is one that I cannot find anywhere, don't know if it's an Pearl or straight up MIJ stencil,

Anybody want to hazard a guess for a couple of cats with a case of curiosity

(apologies for the poor picture quality/lighting)

Attachments

• IMG_4036.jpg
    IMG_4036.jpg
    282.5 KB · Views: 191
  • IMG_4037.jpg
    IMG_4037.jpg
    356.7 KB · Views: 189
Sweet, I think you are right, I would have never come up with that. Thanks!

Attachments

• JCPenney logos 1964 pleasantfamilyshopping.jpg
    JCPenney logos 1964 pleasantfamilyshopping.jpg
    166.6 KB · Views: 142
OK? Sorry, but this stupid Swede has no idea about JC Penney or what kind of drums these were. Intriguing.
Google doesn't say much. Who knows?

JCPenny is a department store, like Macy's, Sears, and.... What do they have in Sweden? H&M?

The kit is likely made by post WW-II Pearl/Tama/Kent/Star/Stewart at one of the same three factories that made all of the other stencil kits.

JCPenny is a department store, like Macy's, Sears, and.... What do they have in Sweden? H&M?

The kit is likely made by post WW-II Pearl/Tama/Kent/Star/Stewart at one of the same three factories that made all of the other stencil kits.

I believe those stencil kits came from Japan. Kent were American made from NY.

Didn't Star ha its own factory like Sakae (and later Yamaha)

Dunno. I had read the background blurb on the MIJ forum, and they alluded to there being two main factories in Japan (three later on) and one in the US. I'll see if I can find a link. All that google turns up at the moment is the VDG which is not as informative.

Sears, Montgomery Ward, BluJays, Bradleys, all appear to be pretty much the same kits.

I believe those stencil kits came from Japan. Kent were American made from NY.

My first kit was a Kent, 1967, and it definitely said "Made In Japan" on the badges. I do know that some of the early Kent sets were USA-made.

GeeDeeEmm

Sorry to but in on tread.

Couldo you please tell me what this kit may be ? It has a gretsch Tom stand mount on it.

Attachments

• 20190721_154934.jpg
    20190721_154934.jpg
    390 KB · Views: 2
  • received_665602800568830.jpeg
    received_665602800568830.jpeg
    137 KB · Views: 2
  • received_892402121127847.jpeg
    received_892402121127847.jpeg
    154.2 KB · Views: 2
  • received_2474382339461718.jpeg
    received_2474382339461718.jpeg
    221.8 KB · Views: 2
My first kit was a Kent, 1967, and it definitely said "Made In Japan" on the badges. I do know that some of the early Kent sets were USA-made.

GeeDeeEmm
My first kit was a Kent - 7th birthday present from my folks in 1981 ( No idea where it was made tho - sorry! )

Back