Steely Dan Drum Covers

Not normally a drum cover gal but I've been practising to Steely Dan on a loop for the past year.

Never liked the song POTQ but I love King of the World and have it in my practice playlist ... it's one of the hard ones (but at least easier than Aja, which requires massive simplification!)

So well done, because it's a tough song to play. You have some cool licks and grooves happening.

Having said that, you're running into similar probs to me - hitting too hard, not always locking in, missing accents ... and adding extra drummy stuff that would have Becker shooting you at dawn ... :)

Thanks for listening everyone, and for the comments. Compared to where I was three months ago (my drumming got so crappy, but I've since joined a band and started getting back into it), I'm pretty happy with the way it's been feeling lately. Pollyana, OMG I wouldn't dare go into a studio with those guys ! The entire Royal Scam album makes me feel like such a slug !!

Pollyana, OMG I wouldn't dare go into a studio with those guys ! The entire Royal Scam album makes me feel like such a slug !!

Funny thing, the hardest drumming track for me on the album is the title track To get those heavy accents just right - timing and dynamics - every time ... bleagh ... I often skip that track but it's probably the exact one I should play to more.

They didnt let Keith Carlock open the hi hat on 4, even justa lil teeny weeny bit.....

A fun game with the Dan is "Why did the drummer that there?" and "Why was space left there?" ... with most bands it can be explained by instinct but with the Dan there's always a musical reason ... they're a study in good taste.

But Keith did manage to slip some nice ones in Black Cow after each 4 bars of the solo. I get the feeling that Rick Marotta was Walter's preferred drummer - he's so incredibly disciplined and precise ... easy to control :)

Personally, I prefer the extra fire in SG, Pretty Purdie and Jim K's work with them.

Steve, sorry for the digression ... having a Dan tragic moment :)

Nice playing - is your kit mic'ed or how are you picking up the drums?

One of the first songs I played drums to when I started was Hey 19 by Steely Dan. It is a fairly simple song but it taught me many of the basics.

Here's Donald Fagen performing the song (he looks like the white version of Stevei Wonder):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzfwtX2kgOA

Nice playing - is your kit mic'ed or how are you picking up the drums?

Thanks. No, it's just this old Sony DSC-P100 digital camera. My friends have commented on how good the audio recordings are with just its internal mic. It adds compression, but no problem for a recording like this. I like how I can hear all the drums and cymbals evenly. It really captures the sound of my drums well.

Back