Steely Dan cover

Excellent AND perfect!!

F&*king awesome sound, Kai!

Question: Do you tend to use the same mix and record settings for each of your covers (in which case you would be choosing tunes that jive with your current setup)? Or do you tweak things depending on the tune? Thanks

Now that is a FAT shuffle!

Nicely executed!

Question: Do you tend to use the same mix and record settings for each of your covers (in which case you would be choosing tunes that jive with your current setup)? Or do you tweak things depending on the tune? Thanks
I use the same recording settings on my Universal Audio Apollo x8p but I'll change some cymbals and snares depending the original song. The mixing part changes all the time, I don't have a good template for that...I try to mix similar sounds from the covered songs. This time it was a very dry 70's sound, no reverb at all, no room mics. The previous Paul Simon cover was quite different with reverbs and more modern sounds. I'm learning the mixing part every time I do covers.

Nice playing! New goal: sing the lead vocal too ?
I’ll playing this and singing some harmonies next weekend. Just four words: “years” “ti-ime” “tears” “mi-ine” That’s enough to concentrate on...

Nice cover by the way - very true to the original, great feel.

One question - in the verses I hear crotchets (quarter notes) on the hihat, rather than shuffled 8ths. Makes the verses sparser in contrast to the other sections. Now I’ll have to have a listen to the original to check.

I’ll playing this and singing some harmonies next weekend. Just four words: “years” “ti-ime” “tears” “mi-ine” That’s enough to concentrate on...

Nice cover by the way - very true to the original, great feel.

One question - in the verses I hear crotchets (quarter notes) on the hihat, rather than shuffled 8ths. Makes the verses sparser in contrast to the other sections. Now I’ll have to have a listen to the original to check.
Thanks Morrisman!
I'm pretty sure there are softer hihat shuffle notes on verses but they are quite softly played. Kick plays off-beats too and no ghost notes.

Back