Steely Dan & Chicago-influenced original track

TK-421

This is the first track I'm posting for an album I recorded last year. The songs are FINALLY ready, and they turned out spectacularly good (at least I think so). This one has a cool side-stick/ride/tom groove in the verses, and a little surprise at the end (<cough> drum solo <cough>).

Let me know what you think. If you like it, I'll post more tracks.

Lefty and the Hatman &#8211; 'Unbreak Us'

Last edited:

TK-421

That's fun stuff alright! Good production and sound!
Thanks! I forgot to mention that the guitarist and producer of this, Marc Mann ("The Hatman" in the band name) is a pretty big-time producer, having worked with Danny Elfman, George Harrison, The Traveling Wilburys, Oingo Boingo and more. He's the reason why it sounds great, I'm just the drummer :)

I like it. Please post more! :)
My fan has spoken :) Here's another track.

Lefty and the Hatman &#8211; 'Buster and Me'

Last edited:

GetAgrippa

Platinum Member
Man that does good-tight nice clean sound. The first was more Steely Dan-Gentle Giant to my mind but the second one I got the Chicago influence. Great band I know you enjoy it.

Andy

Administrator
Staff member
This is really great stuff! Love your playing, especially on the first track.

I did detect a big difference in production between the two tracks, but I note they're not yet mastered.

TK-421

Man that does good-tight nice clean sound. The first was more Steely Dan-Gentle Giant to my mind but the second one I got the Chicago influence. Great band I know you enjoy it.
Thank you! It's always hard to compare yourself to other bands, but the arrangements and chord progressions remind me of Steely Dan and the horns remind me of old Chicago (pre '80s ballad crap era), so I went with those.

This is really great stuff! Love your playing, especially on the first track.

I did detect a big difference in production between the two tracks, but I note they're not yet mastered.
Thanks Andy. And good ear. I recorded four of the songs at my studio, and 3 at another studio. Even though I'm only setup for 4-track recording (2 overheads plus kick and snare), I think mine turned out sounding much better. Probably because I had full control. But it takes me MUCH longer to do it all on my own, so to save time we went into a studio and cranked out the last three tracks in one afternoon.

I recorded Unbreak Us at my studio, and Buster at the other studio. I literally just got these tracks Thursday night, so I haven't had a chance to get back to Marc with my notes. But I'll see if he can EQ the toms a bit more and punch them up in the Buster mix. Ideally, they should sound roughly the same. And as you noted, nothing has been mastered yet, so that will likely make a difference.

Edit: maybe I can turn this into a contest -- I'll post more tracks, and DWers can guess if I recorded the drums at my studio or the other studio :)

Last edited:

Andy

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks Andy. And good ear. I recorded four of the songs at my studio, and 3 at another studio.
That's going to necessitate a channel to channel replication on every instrument + process to harmonise the tracks fully if they're going to sit on the same album.

FWIW, I think the whole recording of Unbreak Us is superior to Buster. Pretty much every aspect is different - it's way more than just an EQ & levels exercise needed. Stereo imagery is poles apart. Did the same guy produce both recordings?

TK-421

That's going to necessitate a channel to channel replication on every instrument + process to harmonise the tracks fully if they're going to sit on the same album.

FWIW, I think the whole recording of Unbreak Us is superior to Buster. Pretty much every aspect is different - it's way more than just an EQ & levels exercise needed. Stereo imagery is poles apart. Did the same guy produce both recordings?
Yes, though the recording was done in bits and pieces over the course of about a year. Even though the producer is very experienced (hell, he's worked with one of the BEATLES), this whole thing was done on the cheap. I'm hoping the mastering process will solve many of the sonic dissimilarities. But frankly, I wasn't very involved other than the laying down the drum tracks. That and the album art, which I'm working on.