Steely Dan - Aja

cbphoto

Gold Member
wow! Really nice playing! I‘ve always considered that tune to be one of the most difficult to play and you were very smooth throughout. thanks for posting!

MntnMan62

That was really really nice. Fluid. Smooth. Relaxed. Could have sworn that was Gadd playing. You nailed it. Other than a very very very slight late hit at 6:10, damn well perfect. Nice playing. I especially liked your hi hat foot splashes. Well done!

TK-421

Great feel throughout and a very nice job of capturing Gadd's essence on one of his signature songs. Not an easy one to pull off, so bravo!

BTW, how do you have your toms arranged? It looks like (from L-R) 12", 13", 10", 16", 8". Is that correct?

dwsabianguy

BTW, how do you have your toms arranged? It looks like (from L-R) 12", 13", 10", 16", 8". Is that correct?
Almost! It's a 13 on the left of the hihat and 12 to the left of the 10 on the kick. Back in March, I put the Yamahas away after the show for Neil, and started this kit as just a four-piece. Over time, the other drums were added around the standard 22/12/16 four-piece setup.

rhumbagirl

Nice playing Ryan! Especially the licks at 5:00, 5:25 and 5:32. Slowing it down I'm still having a hard time following.

dwsabianguy

Nice playing Ryan! Especially the licks at 5:00, 5:25 and 5:32. Slowing it down I'm still having a hard time following.
That lick, like a lot of Steve Gadd’s playing, starts with the kick drum, which is playing dotted eighths. 1, a, (2) &, (3) e, 4, then the & of four. The RLR part is kinda sorta not really exactly in time, but the kick drum is.

rhumbagirl

That lick, like a lot of Steve Gadd’s playing, starts with the kick drum, which is playing dotted eighths. 1, a, (2) &, (3) e, 4, then the & of four. The RLR part is kinda sorta not really exactly in time, but the kick drum is.
I'm just sitting at the edge of my bed and my first thought is (I haven't listened to the tune in over a week, so):
Code:
|1.e.&.a.2.e.&.a.3.e.&.a.4.e.&.a.|
|..RLR...RLR...RLR...RLR...RLR...| (distributed over the toms)
|B.....B.....B.....B.....B...B...|
For those that wanna know how to practice the literal interpretation above, first remove the L hand, and you get groups of three 16ths repeated over four quarter notes:

Code:
|1.e.&.a.2.e.&.a.3.e.&.a.4.e.&.a.|
|..R.R...R.R...R.R...R.R...R.R...| (distributed over the toms)
|B.....B.....B.....B.....B...B...|
Then it's just a matter of sticking your left hand in there - what else are you going to do with it?

EDIT: Interesting observation: the 'R.R' above is for a right-handed drummer, playing 'B' with his or her right foot. Yet it seems astronomically more difficult to try and play the non-dominant hand for those notes (eg 'L.L'), at least at speed for this song. I think it has to do with something along the lines of our non-dominant hand is used to following instead of leading.

Last edited:

gish

Incredible performance.. Watched it 5-6 times; my wife said “why do you keep listening to that song?” Lol; best compliment I can give; I keep coming back to it.

Andy

Administrator
Staff member
Absolutely several notches up from the average cover. Great flow, and really well recorded too. I especially liked your cymbal tones :) A super enjoyable listen.