Stauffer Percussion

APhilly93

Hi, Im Philip, just joined the forum but have been an avid viewer of all things drummerworld. Im looking to purchase a new kit sometime in the next year. I play alot of live gigs, and a decent amount of studio work.

Ive looked through all of the "mainstream" brands, and just havent found what im looking for, a kit/company that feels like me. Custom seems to be the option i want to opt towards, and i felt really drawn towards craviotto, but i might as well quit college now and start saving for one of those bad boys.

Stauffer offers the steam bent and Black label lines, and i was fortunate to hear Jacob Edwards of the Avett brothers kit at a soundcheck. The steam-bent seem to offer the closest comparison to the pricey craviotto's.

I guess after all this type, im really just looking for any input on the company and the 2 lines that i mentioned!
thanks for the read!
Philip Moore

I hate to be the one to say this, because Dennis Stauffer (owner/maker of Stauffer Percussion) was a great friend, but he was killed in a car accident earlier this year. It was so untimely. He was an excellent craftsman and I have owned/ played his drums. His steambent drums were incredible though.

I wish you the best of luck and please keep Dennis Stauffer's family in thought!!

I hate to be the one to say this, because Dennis Stauffer (owner/maker of Stauffer Percussion) was a great friend, but he was killed in a car accident earlier this year. It was so untimely. He was an excellent craftsman and I have owned/ played his drums. His steambent drums were incredible though.

I wish you the best of luck and please keep Dennis Stauffer's family in thought!!

I had Heard that, but i had assumed that the company was still running, due to the website not shutting down, and still having ordering options and what not. is the Company no more?

Stauffer is a great custom drum company. I don't know too much about smaller custom companies to be honest. If I recall correctly, the owner passed away recently. I don't know if the brand has been sold (he actually had a few product lines for different custom drums), as the last time I looked on Ghost Note the owner's wife was looking for potential buyers.

Stauffer is a great custom drum company. I don't know too much about smaller custom companies to be honest. If I recall correctly, the owner passed away recently. I don't know if the brand has been sold (he actually had a few product lines for different custom drums), as the last time I looked on Ghost Note the owner's wife was looking for potential buyers.

Just looked it up on the wesite, and due to me not checking all the links, i found my answer. Thanks for the input Though fellas

The steam-bent seem to offer the closest comparison to the pricey craviotto's.

Philip Moore
Hi Philip. If you're into the sonic benefits of steam bent shells, there are a number of US builders (I'm assuming you're USA based) who will make you a set for a lot less than Craviotto. Typically, shells are sourced from Vaughncraft, then the builder can produce any finish/size, etc that you want.

Craviotto make a great kit, but there are other companies that make their own steam bent shells in house, & those drums are either more affordable/of equal quality/better, or all three :) If you like solid shelled drums, also look at thinner shell stave drums. A different vibe to steam bent, but equally sonically characterful compared to ply shells. There's a lot out there, & I think you'd benefit from starting with a good US based custom builder with access to Vaughncraft shells. Good luck, & welcome to the forum :)

Hi Philip. If you're into the sonic benefits of steam bent shells, there are a number of US builders (I'm assuming you're USA based) who will make you a set for a lot less than Craviotto. Typically, shells are sourced from Vaughncraft, then the builder can produce any finish/size, etc that you want.

Craviotto make a great kit, but there are other companies that make their own steam bent shells in house, & those drums are either more affordable/of equal quality/better, or all three :) If you like solid shelled drums, also look at thinner shell stave drums. A different vibe to steam bent, but equally sonically characterful compared to ply shells. There's a lot out there, & I think you'd benefit from starting with a good US based custom builder with access to Vaughncraft shells. Good luck, & welcome to the forum :)

Thanks! this was more than helpful! I've always been interested in stave, but have yet to really study the concept outside of snares.

Back