State your unpopular drumming opinions

I hate forum trolls. If you don't do something traditional, make a mistake--douchebags come out of the woodwork and say nothing more than, "this is what I do". WHO CARES. I'm not you. I don't have to do things the way everyone else does. And if I made a mistake, WHO CARES.

Ok, I'm good :sneaky:

I don't think Bonham is the best drummer ever...or Buddy Rich

Bonham was adequate, and I think got more initial fame b/c of the band's off stage antics. I think Zep in general is over rated...I still like them though
Buddy Rich was just fast...but not real musical to my ears

I am 50, and still prefer big drum sets to small. I get made fun of a lot by "musicians" who are carrying in 4 cabinets, 60 pedal effects, and 40 guitars, and they are saying "hello Mr. Peart" in that condescending tone to me for my 6 piece with 7 or 8 cymbals...

"Solid 2 & 4" is important, but so are good, interesting, busy fill....

Excessive cymbal crashing has become normalized. It's obnoxious. Crashing after every fill is both obnoxious and amateur. If you have to do it to mark the "one", you have poor taste and a poor sense of time.

Drum demo vids with the same dull, basic rock beat are boring as hell. So are the demo drummers who can't play a proper buzz.

Peace.

I have been always interested in what is a American Master and disagreed with some points. Natural talent, or learned. A drummers brain activity has been proven to be quite different to others , which adds to the talent or learned as well the question of motor control to articulation being acquired as a skill or adaptive physical function

There is a studio web cast online that takes cheap instruments and run them against the top line models. Easy there online to find, check it out to have a view on instrument costs to quality

Going back to a Mastery of skill and play ones choice of instruments. Practice is inevitable to become accomplished, As drummers having taken lessons, practice becomes important as playing with music or a group. Knowledge , skill and adaptability becomes one and a higher awareness of the whole group, (audiation) , process of seeing music as a language and hearing each instrument collective separately as part of the music piece as you play

Understanding drums and sounds, multiple woods, combinations of woods and sizes, not to mention metal types and mountings. These all have an impact on the sizes and sounds they produce with out heads on them. Now drum heads , multiple materials, sizes . Makers all talk and advertise what correct for your use as a drummer. For myself I see it as each drum has its own special sound. When place a drum head on the drum the sound changes to what is expect for that drum,(not what you believe it should be). You may not get the sound you want with the drums and heads you use.

My few cents,

1. Don't tell me you've got a DW set then show me a picture of a PDP. The 2 are very different.

2. People who have alot of money and buy a beautiful set of drums/cymbals and then abuse them.

3. Don't underestimate people because of what they play, money makes no difference to talent.

4. Rudiments are boring, have fun instead

1, Puresound snare wires,improve any drum they are fitted to,not in my case .2,Cymbals that are misdescribed in factory brochuresi.e Zildjian A crash / ride 18" 2ooos era ..."light crash" qualities......(the loudest crash ive ever heard)..Meinl Byzance 18 extra thin jazz can be used for light ride duties,sorry no it cant. .3 ,Bland sounding one dimensional sheet cymbals,passed off as decent on internet reviews.ie PST7.. 4 ,Drum "technique heroes"who have a Karate approach to drumming,go and make music people want to hear please.

Last edited:
Agreed. Especially practiced very slowly, with big motions. And the Stone Killer exercise is the same.

I find the opposite to be true. Getting a nice rolling pace without thought becomes very cathartic. Going slow requires more mental input and kinda ruins it. I'm not talking about playing at max speed, just a nice comfortable pace.

I find the opposite to be true. Getting a nice rolling pace without thought becomes very cathartic. Going slow requires more mental input and kinda ruins it. I'm not talking about playing at max speed, just a nice comfortable pace.

But if you get really good at playing slow, you can still get in the zone even at very slow tempos.

But if you get really good at playing slow, you can still get in the zone even at very slow tempos.

I guess part of it depends on what is considered really slow. Slow for one might be fast for another. I find 16th at 50bpm slow but not uncomfortable, 8ths at 50bpm yes. Too much thinking involved. Others might find the 16ths too much but the 8ths perfectly acceptable. I play rudiments with a metronome when working on speed. For just keeping the patterns fresh usually not. At the kit I always use some kind of click though. That's when I'm working on time.

Have you actually listened to their recordings with him?

He was ass on the drums. Ringo was leagues above him.
I guess I should have added an sarcasm emoji or something. Ringo is one of my all time favorites and is absolutely the reason the Beatles sound like the Beatles.

There is natural talent, Without it you'll never be as good as your favorite drummer. It will still take a lot of work.

Expensive is not over priced. Two different things.

DWs are awesome drums!!!

YMMV

Back