State your unpopular drumming opinions

Small drums sound small. :)

I like this one.
I'm good with a small, fusion kit...but being a teen in the 80's with the big, power tom kits, I just can't wrap my head around small drums.

My unpopular opinion: Drum companies need to bring back the power tom kits! Big 24" kicks, no rack tom smaller than a 13" & floor toms are 16 & 18...PERIOD!!

There...now I feel better. :)

Last edited:
I like this one.
I'm good with a small, fusion kit...but being a teen in the 80's with the big, power tom kits, I just can't wrap my head around small drums.

My unpopular opinion: Drum companies need to bring back the power tom kits! Big 24" kicks, no rack tom smaller than a 13" & floor toms are 16 & 18...PERIOD!!

Go give a bop kit a try. They are a blast. You can put everything exactly where you want without issue. Sure they are small, but they are still drums.

I like this one.

Oh thank you ! I don't feel alone anymore ; give us something else than the 10x7 12x8 16x14 drum kits thing ; bring back depththththth for god sake. Now I feel better too.

Oh thank you ! I don't feel alone anymore ; give us something else than the 10x7 12x8 16x14 drum kits thing ; bring back depththththth for god sake. Now I feel better too.

Well, we’ve just about covered the gambit. We’ve had shallow BDs with deep FTs. We’ve had deep toms all around and shallow BD. We’ve had shallow toms all around and deep BDs. I split the difference and went with shallow BD and toms all around. (I feel better! 8-D)

To my knowledge, we’ve never had power toms and a power kick all at the same time. You all may be feeling better shortly!

To my knowledge, we’ve never had power toms and a power kick all at the same time. You all may be feeling better shortly!

I'm down with that.

I'd like a Lars kit from the Justice tour. I read he had twin 24's and rack/floors that went on for days as far as size and depth.

I'm down with that.

I'd like a Lars kit from the Justice tour. I read he had twin 24's and rack/floors that went on for days as far as size and depth.

24x16 kick x 2
10x10 tom
12x11 tom
14x13 tom
16x15 tom
18x16 floor tom 1
18x16 floor tom 2 (yes, same sizes).

Tama Artstar 2 in white w/ black hardware & shark tooth lugs.

The "Granstar" separate lugs were offered as an option along side the long "Granstar II, Artstar II" lug in Japan and other non-U.S. markets for the Artstar II and Granstar II. The separate lugs were available even on the Artstar Custom.

We had one of his signature kits in the shop I worked at. It sat a while and the shop owner actually tried to sell it as 2 separate 5 piece kits at one point. Fortunately someone eventually bought the whole kit.

I'd need a new house if I had that kit. Nice thought though.

You need to turn off the local earthquake sensors too.

Davo

Well, we’ve just about covered the gambit. We’ve had shallow BDs with deep FTs. We’ve had deep toms all around and shallow BD. We’ve had shallow toms all around and deep BDs. I split the difference and went with shallow BD and toms all around. (I feel better! 8-D)

I’m pretty sure that the mid 80s Premier APK sets could be specified with Power Toms that were an inch deeper than standard Power Toms, and an 18” deep bass drum at a time when 14” was still pretty much the norm and 16” itself was seen as a bit of a power depth. Something in my head is suggesting they did a 20” by 18” too but I don’t have any brochures to hand to back it up.

I’m pretty sure that the mid 80s Premier APK sets could be specified with Power Toms that were an inch deeper than standard Power Toms, and an 18” deep bass drum at a time when 14” was still pretty much the norm and 16” itself was seen as a bit of a power depth. Something in my head is suggesting they did a 20” by 18” too but I don’t have any brochures to hand to back it up.

I don't remember APK / XPK ever had 18" depth bass drum ; the Signia did have that option. But you're right, they offered Xtra power tom like Tama in the beginning of 90's. I don't like much Xtra depth tom : it makes 13" and larger toms really big and cumbersome.

Premier used to offer something that worked very well : Equal depth 10 and 12 rack toms (10x10 12x10 I think + 14x12 floor) on the fusion kit. I played one in 93/94. I liked this kit, the 10 had enough body, even without any rim's mount.
That could come back since manufacturers don't offer 12 13 16 configuration anymore, they could perfectly offer deeper 10 and 12, still combined with a shallower 16x14.
I often play my kit that way ; 22x16 10x9 12x10 16x14 (power toms). It works very very well.

Right - like there's a huge market for those sizes. I think not. But you did state an unpopular opinion, which so many on this thread have not done. So congrats for being unpopular lol.

I like this one.

Drummers should be able to discuss breakfast on Drummer discussion forums..

Ha!

Drummers should discuss their recipes for:
  1. The Perfect Margarita
  2. The Perfect Bloody Mary

4 eggs scrambled
Cream cheese
Swiss cheese
Fresh pressed garlic clove
Scissor cut fresh leaf spinach
Cooked in almost smoking (hot!) coconut oil, on a flat cast iron pan.
Salt, pepper and Franks hot sauce after it's done.
Sometimes salsa and sour cream on the side.
Bacon if I really want to feel special.
Tea with milk and honey and Dave's Killer Bread for toast.

Breakfast is my favorite meal.
I don't usually do lunch.

I don't remember APK / XPK ever had 18" depth bass drum ; the Signia did have that option. But you're right, they offered Xtra power tom like Tama in the beginning of 90's. I don't like much Xtra depth tom : it makes 13" and larger toms really big and cumbersome.

Premier used to offer something that worked very well : Equal depth 10 and 12 rack toms (10x10 12x10 I think + 14x12 floor) on the fusion kit. I played one in 93/94. I liked this kit, the 10 had enough body, even without any rim's mount.
That could come back since manufacturers don't offer 12 13 16 configuration anymore, they could perfectly offer deeper 10 and 12, still combined with a shallower 16x14.
I often play my kit that way ; 22x16 10x9 12x10 16x14 (power toms). It works very very well.

You are right, I've just found an old brochure and I was confusing it with the Premier Projector 20" x 18" Power Bass Drum, everything else from back then was either 16" or 14" depth.

While I'm here it's worth noting the APK/XPK sizes from the Premier Rebound 2 Brochure

8" x 9" Power Tom
10"x 9" Fusion Tom
10" x 10" Power Tom
12" x 10" Fusion Tom
12" x 11" Power Tom
13" x 12" Power Tom
14" x 12" Fusion Tom
14" x 13" Power Tom

Even the Fusion Toms are massive by today's standards!

Breakfast is my favorite meal.
I don't usually do lunch.[/QUOTE]

If you did it the other way around, skipped breakfast and ate lunch, you may find that you feel better and improve your body composition without any additional effort. Not saying you need that, Im just making a general blanket statement bc I like blankets, especially soft fuzzy ones.

Back