Starclassic walnut/birch or BB?

bud7h4

Silver Member
Should I buy the newer walnut/birch shells or get a BB while I still can?

Both are fantastic sounding kits, you'd be happy with either one. That being said, I actually prefer the sound of the Birch/Bubinga. It has uniquely low, punchy sound that no other kit on the market has.

If you want a punchier sound, go with the B/B, and if you want a fuller sound, go with the W/B.

I have heard the W/B and it is the best sounding kit I've ever heard. I've never heard the BB in person, and I'm concerned that the low end might translate to "boomy", which I don't like. That's the reason I've always played maple, I don't like low, boomy toms. But the W/B sound even better to me than the Starclassic maple which I originally wanted.

On a side note, I also have a chance to get a DW Performance for nearly the same price as the W/B.

I have heard the W/B and it is the best sounding kit I've ever heard. I've never heard the BB in person, and I'm concerned that the low end might translate to "boomy", which I don't like. That's the reason I've always played maple, I don't like low, boomy toms. But the W/B sound even better to me than the Starclassic maple which I originally wanted.

On a side note, I also have a chance to get a DW Performance for nearly the same price as the W/B.
The B/B is definitely NOT boomy. It's the opposite, which is short and punchy.

I'd get the W/B or B/B before getting a DW Performance kit. They're good, but they're a little overpriced for what you get.

Here's a vid of both Tama kits being demoed. You may have already seen it, but pay attention to how the B/B sounds in relation to the W/B. They're similar.

I too have a B/B and love it, just be aware add -ons are an issue. Tama went to Walnut to get round the problems with Bubinga, because the sound was the closest to it.
Had DW in the past and in my opinion the Tama is easily equal in build quality/finish but better sound ( subjective) and definitely better value.

Tama began using walnut to avoid customs restrictions on bubinga in Europe, so the change is due to laws not sonics and shell acoustics. If there wasn't a customs problem with bubinga, Tama would still be using it.

Therefore, go with birch/bubinga, unless you wanna add more drums to the kit (check with Tama for availability, they keep finishes "active" for about 5 years after the finish has been pulled from their product lineup).

I also think the finishes were better looking on the B/B than on the current B/W offerings.

. . . .
I'd get the W/B or B/B before getting a DW Performance kit. They're good, but they're a little overpriced for what you get.

The quote I got on a new 5pc DW Performance is $1835 (plus $200 store credit).
The BB kit I was considering is no longer available and I haven't found another.

Leaning toward the W/B over the DW (and I really want to like the DW). The Tama toms and kick just sound better (on video).

Last edited:
If you're still on the fence, take a look at the hardware and its various costs. If you're gonna go for a sail with either one of these brands, you're gonna end up needing to know how to best utilize & maintain the hardware.

I prefer the design & function of Tama gear, and really like their Starcast mounting system and their RoadPro stands. But DW has a cool magnetic snare throw-off and installs adjustable handles on many clamps and cymbal stand tilters.

Tama might have begun making more robust, durable hardware before DW (1970?), but after the two companies bought the assets to Camco the competition to build & deliver great hardware eventually brought way better gear to drummers of both brands.

The quote I got on a new 5pc DW Performance is $1835 (plus $200 store credit).
The BB kit I was considering is no longer available and I haven't found another.

Leaning toward the W/B over the DW (and I really want to like the DW). The Tama toms and kick just sound better (on video).
I've played both the DW Performance and the Tama Walnut/Birch, and the W/B sounds better to my ears.

My issue with DW's sound is that it isn't exactly "clean". It's a nice sound, but the tone just isn't as good as other competing brands, IMHO.

I think the Tama Walnut/Birch is a nobrainer. The drums sound close to a 10/10 in my book, and the hardware is second to none.

Thanks everyone for the advice!. I decided to spend the extra money and get a Starclassic Maple.

Thanks everyone for the advice!. I decided to spend the extra money and get a Starclassic Maple.
Nice!

But…photos or it didn’t happen. ?

When I got those solid bubinga ones I didn’t even know maple was an option! I think the Starclassics are cool. But now those Star drums are supposedly the bees knees.

I'm working as a drum tech and let me tell you, the Starclassic Maple is every tech's dream! The shells are light, the tom mounting system is perfect and the hardware is excellent. I'm not talking tone (which is great, but lets be honest, FoH does the real work here), just 'handling'.

Back