Starclassic Bubinga

Scottie15

Welp, a Reverb listing for a gorgeous Starclassic Bubinga kit that I wanted just ended. Someone bought em and now I'm trying to look elsewhere for a set.

I heard Tama is no longer producing Bubinga kits due to the CITES restrictions.

Does anyone have any additional information or advice on this topic?

RickP

Gold Member
Cosmo Music in Richmond Hill , Ontario Canada has a gorgeous Tama Starclassic Bubinga kit for sale .
They also have a gorgeous Tama Star Bubinga kit as well .

cbphoto

Gold Member
If you have the money, you can order a Starclassic bubinga kit from an authorized Tama dealer and Tama will build one for you. This was told to me by the Tama rep at the Sweetwater Gearfest two months ago (June). He did not say what the wait/build time was, but for maple kits it's usually 6–8 months.

And yes, Tama dropped the bubinga wood due to European restrictions (bizarre IMO).

Scottie15

If you have the money, you can order a Starclassic bubinga kit from an authorized Tama dealer and Tama will build one for you. This was told to me by the Tama rep at the Sweetwater Gearfest two months ago (June). He did not say what the wait/build time was, but for maple kits it's usually 6–8 months.

And yes, Tama dropped the bubinga wood due to European restrictions (bizarre IMO).

Yea, but will most likely be paying upwards of $7,000 for one, which is just nuts.

Alto Music in NY had a gorgeous Jungle Burst one they sold this morning, which absolutely gutted me.

Can't believe they'd drop the bubinga line. Heard it had something to do with CITES restrictions, but there a possibility it could be back in the future.

cbphoto

Gold Member
yeah, not cheap.

The Tama rep told me that China was over-harvesting all the bubinga out of Africa for furniture and this was the cause of the issue. More info here.

IBitePrettyHard

There's still some new Starclassic Birch/Bubinga kits for sale on places like Reverb.

Use the search term "Tama B/B". I would seriously consider those if I were you! Phenomenal sounding drums, arguably better than the all-Bubinga kits.....they were on my short list when I was in the market for a new kit.

Very punchy and unique, there's just something special about them.

drummaman1

All of the ibanez guitars with Bubinga in them has been replaced with walnut, wenge, or a wood called panga panga. QC is the same, so no loss, really.

You can still get MIJ Starclassic Bubinga or Maple, they still make it for the Japanese market (even though they make SCM in China). I asked about a year ago to have a kit made in my favorite finish, Scorched Copper Burst. They can make it, but it's at Star pricing, and at least 6 months, more like 8 months (!!!) I'd rather just get a Star kit if I'm going to pay that much.