Stanton Moore here

but what exactly is new orleans drumming. Like what defines it. I've listened to a lot of music and i've heard you talk about it alot, but what is it? Rock has the whole 2 and 4 and funk has the syncopation, but what does New Orleans drumming base off of?

In a nutshell, New Orleans was the only city in America to allow African Slaves to play their indigenous music on American soil. This led to the combining of African culture and music with European instruments and music. Second Line drumming is the result of afro-Caribbean rhythms (namely clave) creeping into European-style marches that were being played in parades in New Orleans for funerals and social functions. These rhythms (rich in syncopation) found their way into New Orleans Jazz, Blues, R&B, Funk, Brass Band (Second Line) and Mardi Gras Indian music. Hope this helps. For more on the topic check out my book, "Take it to the Street"

but what exactly is new orleans drumming. Like what defines it. I've listened to a lot of music and i've heard you talk about it alot, but what is it? Rock has the whole 2 and 4 and funk has the syncopation, but what does New Orleans drumming base off of?

KLittle, i think that it's not that much about the definition as about this "between the cracks" (tm) feel :).

Why didn't you tell me you were at Birmingham Percussion Center?! I just went to the BPC website. Russ was my teacher when I had lessons.

Is there any way I could get a lead sheet or even a tab of the chords in Sprung Monkey? I'm trying to transcribe it so my friends and I can play it at a show, but I'm having trouble with it. The melody's no problem, just the chords and voicings. Thanks!

By the way Stanton, the first time I heard that groove on the Sprung Monkey video, it just floored me. Your feeling and intuition are incredible. I love all your other stuff too.

HOLLA!

Stanton: I'll try to keep from too much brown-nosing.. but your drumming has definitely inspired me. Had I never listened to your playing, I would have never embraced the funk.. but most of all, I probably wouldn't have found my own place "between straight and swung", as you've put it. I also would have never really looked into Bosphorus ... but after hearing your cymbals, I had to check them out, and to date I have a complete setup of Bosphorus Trads and Masters.

Anyway, I had a question regarding one of your tracks from All Kooked Out called "Stanton Hits The Bottle". I've always been very intrigued by this track, and I was wondering if you could tell me a little bit about your part. Are you playing between the bottles and kit at the same time? If so, how do you set up those bottles, what kind of bottles do you use, and is there a sticking you apply to the bottles? I've noticed a pattern when you play strictly on the kit, but I couldn't quite discern if you carry that pattern to the bottles or not.

Thanks so much in advance for any info, but thanks even more for providing everyone here at DW for some funky, inspirational drumming!

After reading about Stanton here, I have just checked out the RRLRRLRL video and its quite simply very kool! Its so easy yet hard to master and play around with, its a very kool and comfortable sticking and great to play around with. I cant get enough of Stanton now. Also, I know it'll say it here somewhere but I cant find it, what DVD has the RRLRRLRL sticking pattern part on it? Is it the Traditional New Orleans or Modern?x

Anyway, I had a question regarding one of your tracks from All Kooked Out called "Stanton Hits The Bottle". I've always been very intrigued by this track, and I was wondering if you could tell me a little bit about your part. Are you playing between the bottles and kit at the same time? If so, how do you set up those bottles, what kind of bottles do you use, and is there a sticking you apply to the bottles? I've noticed a pattern when you play strictly on the kit, but I couldn't quite discern if you carry that pattern to the bottles or not.

i'm no Stanton, but i think i might help :). from what i managed to hear is that the sticking on this tune is almost exactly the same one as in Sprung Monkey so LLRLRLRR, but without that first L if you know what i mean (there's a bass drum on 1, but the left hand starts to play on 1-and, other than in Sprung Monkey) so it's like: ...LRLRLRRLLRLRLRR...LRLRLRRLLRLRLRR and so on ;). right hand plays the backbeat on the snare.

i would say it's possible to play it with the bottles and the kit at the same time, without overdubbing :).

i'm not quite sure if i got it right, but hell, maybe it can help ya out at least a bit :).

EDIT darknessdude, it's in the modern one :)

Last edited:
After reading about Stanton here, I have just checked out the RRLRRLRL video and its quite simply very kool! Its so easy yet hard to master and play around with, its a very kool and comfortable sticking and great to play around with. I cant get enough of Stanton now. Also, I know it'll say it here somewhere but I cant find it, what DVD has the RRLRRLRL sticking pattern part on it? Is it the Traditional New Orleans or Modern?x

It's on the Modern Video... the book contains everything from both videos and is excellent as well.

Hey Stanton,
I have really enjoyed playing around with the The RRLRRLRL pattern. Moving the accents around is very tricky (for me anyway).

Thanks

Just been to Stantons Clinic in Doncaster UK tonight. Awesome does not even start to describe it! He really gets across what he is doing, makes you feel like you can play it with practise and makes you want to get behind the kit!

I wish it was afternoon so I could start tub thumping! The practise pad will have to do untill tomorrow :)

Stanton Moore and Brian Blade are my favourite drummers right now. I had an epiphany and these guys have opened my eyes and thanks to them, changed my approach to drumming. I am no longer interested in the flash and machine like quality alot of drummers eminate ( we all know who they are), but the art of the feel which Moore and Blade, Gadd all manifest in their playing. I was at a Gadd clinic a while ago earlier this year or later last year that was sponsored by Zildjian. A fellow from the crowd asked steve who his favourite drummers were at the moment and he referred to Stanton Moore as his favourite because of the feel he has while he plays and the feel that shows in his drumming, or something to that effect.

I can appreciate all drumming but I don't find those flashy videos, drumsolos appealing or enjoyable to watch. The beat is where it's at and I think Moore, Gadd are kings of the beat. Of course we can't forget the past greats who inspired these guys.

yeah brian blade and stanton moore have such a strong sense rhythm, I sense that they have great feel for drums and display that through amazingly soulful grooves. Blade playing with Josh Redman is so good, and Moore playing with Galactic is just simply amazing

HELLO ALL & HAPPY HOLIDAYS !!!

Thank you Stanton & his big brain for thinking & acting in such a positive and helpful way! And thank you wonderful friends & kind strangers for all your love & support !

The Vidacovich house does indeed need serious repairs, expensive and large scale which of course the insurance company won't cover. And, JV is having trouble with arthritis but because of the house worries & bills he has to take extra work when he should be resting & healing. So Stanton had the bright idea to ask you fans and friends for any help you could spare.

You can read more details in an upcoming blog. This is just a note to spread the word and express our gratitude. We deeply appreciate the overwhelming amount of public support and generosity. If you missed Stanton's letter, here it is again:

The link is here:

http://www.stantonmoore.com/news/jv.html

HELP SAVE THE VIDACOVICH HOUSE!

Hello fans of great music,

I'm writing to you to ask for your help in helping out my mentor, teacher and good friend Johnny Vidacovich. Johnny and his wife Deborah's house is in need of major repairs and they are in need of financial help. To compound matters, Johnny is developing arthritis in his right thumb. I want to keep him from having to play every single gig that comes his way so that the arthritis doesn't get worse. This is the house that I learned my most important musical lessons in. This is also the house that Kevin O'day, Brian Blade and many other great drummers learned in. Johnny is one of the most unique drummers in the world and is a New Orleans treasure.

So I want to help them in as many was as I can by letting as many people as I know that:

- Johnny will be teaching lessons at the house for the next few weeks at a discounted rate of $75 an hour
- You can book the lessons with Deborah via email at [email protected]
- You can make a donations to the Vidacovich cause by mailing a check made out to Johnny Vidacovich to 4816 Bienville St. New Orleans, LA 70119
- You can make a donation online below!

PLEASE FORWARD THIS TO FRIENDS WHO YOU THINK WOULD WANT TO HELP!

Thanks for your help. Together we can help save the Vidacovich house!

Sincerely,
Stanton Moore
http://www.stantonmoore.com

Also, you can select "copy" in the CHIPIN widget and paste the code and embed the donation box on your page. Spread the word, spread the love!
peace y'alll
jesse

the link is here:

http://www.stantonmoore.com/news/jv.html

Bernhard

Last edited by a moderator:
Best wishes for Mr. Vidacovich - and everyone else - in the new year.

I'm working through "Taking it to the Street", and it's distracting to me that I can't get my 6.5x14 maple snare to sound right. I'm in the market for a new snare anyway. But as great as Stanton's drums sound there's no way I could get anything like a Dunnett Titanium. Does anybody have any recommendations for a more common drum that would tune well for second-line?

Hi Stanton!

Great to read about you in the Jan. issue of DRUM! magazine.

I find myself also now progressing to using hybrid grips like yourself.... The French style like Bonham did, a loose traditional in the left hand, and that modified matched one, using the middle finger and thumb as the fulcrum... SOOO hard right now LOL.. Drummin for about 20 years you get used to the "traditional" matched-grip way of index and thumb. :)

And your snare drums.. look so tasty :)

Thanks for your inspirations Stanton.

Best wishes for Mr. Vidacovich - and everyone else - in the new year.

I'm working through "Taking it to the Street", and it's distracting to me that I can't get my 6.5x14 maple snare to sound right. I'm in the market for a new snare anyway. But as great as Stanton's drums sound there's no way I could get anything like a Dunnett Titanium. Does anybody have any recommendations for a more common drum that would tune well for second-line?

Try a 13x4 yamaha steel snare, it's really great. or try something like it. Or look for some 14x4 snare drums. Anything metal so that you can rim shot close to the edge of the drum and get a beautiful ring.

Thanks - I was thinking metal but then I found out Stanton plays a small birdseye maple drum most of the time.

I actually just got the Pork Pie Big Black, going to see how the depth affects the character of the ring. Eventually I'll need to get a 4x14. Just hard to convince my wife that I need three snares :p

Back