Stanople hi hats

Jml

I have a pair of New Beats hi hats, which I really like but was looking for some different hats for a second pair. I found some inexpensive 14” Paiste Stanople hi hats made in Germany. Turns out they were made in the 50’s. Was looking for a darker, thinner set of hats to maybe use for some jazz music. The hats are definitely thin and made from a Nickel/Silver alloy. I used them with my kit, and they were loud and somewhat trashy. Wondering whether to keep or return for something else. Anyone out there used these in a musical application? Any suggestions?

I have some 15" German made nickel silver paiste hats. I used them in a rock band for a while. They needed to be louder for that application IMO, but I love the sound anyway. They'd be great for jazz or lower volume playing. I prefer them to the 15" giant beats, smokier and more mysterious.

Jml

Thanks 500 Kicks. Still breaking them in. Anyone know how to clean these cymbals? Not sure of what to use without ruining them.

opentune

Platinum Member
If they contain silver are maybe tarnishing like silverware cutlery? If so, could try Brasso. Or just leave them as is, part of their age and 'funk'.

crispycritters

Nickel silver is made from copper, zinc and nickel there is no silver included despite the name, basically it is brass with about 15% nickel added which gives it a silver look. I have an old nickel silver crash - ANY liquid or cream metal polish that doesn't scratch will do the job. I used brasso on mine and got good results.

Jml

If I don't have a metal polish cleaner, would soap and water work? Glass cleaner?

ZildjianLover

I would say keep the hi-hats, and polish them off with Brasso. I hardly ever polish my cymbals, but whenever I do, the Brasso seems to do the trick, so that is what I have used for the last four years. Before that, I used the Zildjian Cleaning Polish, and it was much less effective, and much more difficult to clean off afterwards than Brasso. Just make sure that you wear gloves, and apply it with a clean soft cloth.