Stand Alone Bell

ncc

Silver Member
I recently replaced 22" A-Med ride with a more flowing 20" K. In the process, I lost the nice bell sound of the A. My question is 'will a standalone bell fill in the gap', or should i look at a different solution? Any opinions about LP ICE, Sabian ALU and ZIL-Bel (including thoughts about price/size justifications)?

Thanks!

porter

Platinum Member
Check out the Meinl 8" HCS bell. $30, brass, sounds exactly like most bell tones. I own one, it's great. I don't think any standalone bell can substitute very well for a ride bell, but if you're looking for that sound, the HCS will do it.

Duck Tape

Platinum Member
I played a ufip ice bell in store next to a bunch of zil bels.. I know it's just a ding sound but the ufip is so much nicer. I wanted to take the bigger sized one home.

Also my memory is hazy but I think the smaller one was lower pitched, and thus closer to a ride bell.

Diet Kirk

Silver Member
Don't Paiste do something bell like that actually looks more like a really thick splash cymbal that has a bit more of a sustained sound than the kind of ding you get from the zil bels and LP stuff?

Also don't zildjian now make versions of Gavin Harrisons bells? they sound a lot more like what you are after?

evogel

I have two Paiste 8" bell cymbals, one a 2002 and one a 602 from the old line.

While they are both terrific, (I give the nod to the 602), they do not sound like the bell of any ride cymbal that I am familiar with. They are certainly bell like but they the sustain of the cymbals is much greater than a ride cymbals bell. This is terrific for accenting or getting a single piercing, bell effect but I have never felt comfortable playing a sustained ride pattern on these cymbals.

YMMV but I would defer to the models other people are mentioning before looking towards the Paiste's.

Eric

MatrixClaw

I have two Paiste 8" bell cymbals, one a 2002 and one a 602 from the old line.

While they are both terrific, (I give the nod to the 602), they do not sound like the bell of any ride cymbal that I am familiar with. They are certainly bell like but they the sustain of the cymbals is much greater than a ride cymbals bell. This is terrific for accenting or getting a single piercing, bell effect but I have never felt comfortable playing a sustained ride pattern on these cymbals.

YMMV but I would defer to the models other people are mentioning before looking towards the Paiste's.

Eric

+1 to this. I find bell cymbals to be much more of an effect than an actual ride's bell.

longgun

Gold Member
+1 to this. I find bell cymbals to be much more of an effect than an actual ride's bell.

+2.........the closest I've found is the smaller (6"?) Zil-bel...............I use a flat ride every once in a while and use the Zil-bel to make up for it...............works well