Stairway to ..Phil Collins??

sonormapex

Watching a clip from an old concert and thought I,d take in the intro to Stairway to Heaven,..but wait, its not happening!!
Collins on drums???
Its just not right, how long did he play with Zep?

Watching a clip from an old concert and thought I,d take in the intro to Stairway to Heaven,..but wait, its not happening!!
Collins on drums???
Its just not right, how long did he play with Zep?

You may be seeing the lost Live Aid footage. Is there another drummer on stage? That would be Tony Thompson. Jimmy Page hated it and refused to have it included in the DVD set. It was a bit of a shambles because Phil couldn't make the rehearsal.

When I see footage like that I'm reminded what an accomplished drummer he was. Miles ahead of most rockers from those days!

This may seem odd, but I hear similarities between Bonham and Morello. Maybe its the snare drum sound, because they are both incredible, but my old ears hear the influence passed down...Its the way they play the snare drum...check it out.

This may seem odd, but I hear similarities between Bonham and Morello. Maybe its the snare drum sound, because they are both incredible, but my old ears hear the influence passed down...Its the way they play the snare drum...check it out.

Half of his Moby Dick solo is stuff that Morello was playing in his solos 10 years earlier.

Keith Moon played for Zep as much as Phil did. Which is to say almost but not quite not at all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GyM6-QibDFM

Oh wow, I hadn't seen that clip.

Of course Moon was almost in Zep. The original idea floated around (probably over too many drinks) was John Entwistle and Keith Moon were going to leave The Who and form a new band with Jimmy Page and call it Lead Zeppelin. John and Keith ultimately couldn't bring themselves to quit the Who, and Page kept the name, dropping the "A' out of Lead.

Still, not surprising Keith joined them on stage at some point, as it's been well documented that Keith Moon was friends with and hung out with Led Zeppelin.

Phil Collins know the Zep live Aid performance was bad.

He said he knew is was bad as it was happening and considered just leaving the stage:

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/phil-collins-led-zeppelin-live-aid/

Phil Collins says he considered quitting mid-performance during Led Zeppelin‘s underwhelming reunion show at Live Aid on July 13, 1985.
In fact, he tells Q, that he realized “this is a mistake” even as the set got underway. Collins was filling in, along with Tony Thompson of Chic, for the late John Bonham — whose 1980 death had precipitated Led Zeppelin’s breakup.

This initial reunion, however, had come after little rehearsal time, as Collins also performed earlier that day at the Live Aid event in London — then caught a Concord to Philadelphia for the Zeppelin gig. Worse still, there were technical problems for Jimmy Page and vocal issues for Robert Plant.

“It was a disaster, really. Robert wasn’t match-fit with his voice and Jimmy was out of it, dribbling. It wasn’t my fault it was crap,” Collins says. “If I could have walked off, I would have. But then we’d all be talking about why Phil Collins walked off Live Aid — so I just stuck it out.”

Collins had happily collaborated on earlier Plant solo work, and admits he thought Live Aid would follow that template. Instead, he says “you could sense I wasn’t welcome” — particularly, Collins adds, on the part of Page.
“I thought it was just going to be low-key and we’d all get together and have a play,” Collins says. “But something happened between that conversation and the day — it became a Led Zeppelin reunion. I turned up and I was a square peg in a round hole. Robert was happy to see me, but Jimmy wasn’t.”

Back