Staining drum heads with coffee

Orbit

I like the look of fibreskyn heads and would like one as a bass drum reso. Thing is I would like to maximise on the mottled look fibreskyns have and was wondering about staining it with coffee? I imagine putting the head flat on the floor, sprinkling it with instant coffee and then spraying water on it with one of those water sprayers you use on house plants. Any thoughts? Has anyone else tried staining drum heads?

I think they are plastic and would not adhere at all. I may be wrong but most heads are pretty water repellant

I think they are plastic and would not adhere at all. I may be wrong but most heads are pretty water repellant
Yes, I see. But with the rough feel of a coated head, that maybe something the coffee could cling to.....? I hear banjo players stain their heads (the ones on their banjo's!) in various ways......not entirely sure how....and if I had a genuine calf skin (a brand called earthtone make them) then that would surely be porous to take on a stain of some sort. Anyhow, I have a spare evans coated head so it's off to asda to get some smart price coffee and see what happens....
Or should I get Alta Rica Brazilian!?!? HAHA

GRUNTERSDAD may be correct, I don't know. However, I do know that in older times, tea was actually used for lots of dyeing. Probably a bit easier than coffee, you wouldn't have a bunch of loose grounds to clean up.

I've seen coffee stains on coated heads.
If you had an old worn coated head, could cut some piece of it out and do a test run, otherwise its a whole bass drum head down the drain.

I love coffee. I could see myself trying it just for the aroma I'd get every time I open up my bass drum case.

I like the look of fibreskyn heads and would like one as a bass drum reso. Thing is I would like to maximise on the mottled look fibreskyns have and was wondering about staining it with coffee? I imagine putting the head flat on the floor, sprinkling it with instant coffee and then spraying water on it with one of those water sprayers you use on house plants. Any thoughts? Has anyone else tried staining drum heads?

I always stain my throne. :p

Just go find the nearest neighbor cat, and use blood. When blood dries, it goes to a nice brown color that will look nice and vintage.

I'm a little confused, as well, as to why you wouldn't just buy either a real or synthetic fiber skin if that's the look you're going for. But, to each their own. I had this thought….

As someone already said brew up a black cup of English Breakfast tea really strong. Now, take your head outside and lay it somewhere flat. Pour the tea in a thin stream right in the middle of the head and let it run out to the sides. Don't try to cover the whole thing. Let it dry completely and then do it again. Do that multiple times. You should end up with the patchy look that it sounds like you're looking for; darker in some spots, lighter in others.

Keep us posted. I would love to know how it turns out.

The remo coating can easily stain, IMO. Even a moongel will leave a stain. Give it a shot and take pics!

edit - doh! I misunderstood. My bad.

Last edited:
If I understand, you want to stain a Fiberskin to make it look older or more vintage. Fiberskin heads have horsehair (man made) glued onto them. It will probably take a stain. Now you have me thinking, what about colors like RIT dye.

I think I'll give it a go with tea......pouring on and repeating. So hopefully will get an effect like a fibreskyn but more brown! Will post pictures, probably in the next few weeks. How do you post pictures on here by the way?

If I understand, you want to stain a Fiberskin to make it look older or more vintage. Fiberskin heads have horsehair (man made) glued onto them. It will probably take a stain. Now you have me thinking, what about colors like RIT dye.

If they have "hair" glued to them, he could probably use hair dye. Women's hair dye comes in every shade under the sun. Surely he can find a suitable brown.

Back