Stagg DH and SH - Are they gonna break?

Fox622003

Gold Member
Hey, I've been considering a switch to Stagg for a while, since known-brand cymbals are WAY too expensive in my country. I've purchased a Splash (Myra, 8") and a Crash (Furia, 17"). I tried several cymbals and those really stood out. Now, I didn't even try DH and SH lines, because they are considerably thinner, these two cymbals look like they are not going to break any time soon, and are quite bright, which is great for a crash or a splash, but now I am going to get a Hi hat and a Ride, and I really like Zildjian K for those two, I think Stagg HAS the potential of giving similar sounds if I pick well, but I believe I am going to have to go to the SH and DH lines to find them. I am not a particularly heavy hitter, but I do play mostly rock with my main band. So, has anyone tried them, have they broken easily? Also, maybe I'm wrong, and there's another Stagg line that's closer to the K sound. Hope some Stagg users or people who know about them can give me some advice.

Thanks, Fox.

Ian

Silver Member
Everything breaks if you hit it wrong/too hard.

While I was playing with crap technique I broke an SH quite quickly, but I was breaking an 18+" Sabian per month during this period, so don't take that as a statistic.

They sound fine. Pick out one you like and play it properly and you'll be happy.

bazdrumma

hi,
I bought a 17" dh thin crash a year or so ago and it is the pretty close to a zildjian A custom. I am a fairly hard hitter and as yet no probs with the DH. it has a bright sound and i use it in preference to a K zildjian.

Fox622003

Gold Member
hi,
I bought a 17" dh thin crash a year or so ago and it is the pretty close to a zildjian A custom. I am a fairly hard hitter and as yet no probs with the DH. it has a bright sound and i use it in preference to a K zildjian.

Thanks a lot for the reply, I really appreciate the feedback!

Fox.

Fiery

Silver Member
Stagg quality control is not the greatest, as I guess you've already noticed when looking for those that sound good. The same way they differ in sound, they can differ in durability, so you might get one that cracks in a month and another one that lasts for years.
In general, I'd try to be more careful with them than with cymbals from bigger manufacturers.