Stage presence in YOUR band(s)

BassDriver

Silver Member
Danny is a stage act all by himself. I've wondered about their beginnings and imagined people going to see this new, unknown act called Tool (funny name, eh?) at a local venue ... and walking into the visual and aural assault of a talented giant of a man pounding the absolute tripe out of the kit with total control. The others could have stood there like manikins and it still would have been a blast.
Imagine all the Toolfans next to the stage air drumming to those infectious grooves...

...Assaf Seewi has some stage presence...

...basically a one-man show...

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/240967/beatbox_meets_drum_solo_artist_assaf_seewi/

...his approach to the drum kit is so confident, amazing really.

eclipseownzu

Gold Member
One of our "gimmicks" is to bring the hottest girls in the club up the stage to play tamborine. Once we get the first girl up there every chick in the place wants to come on stage. Sometimes it will just be me and like 10 hot girls on stage while the band roves around the club playing on the dance floor or at the bar. As a cover band getting the crowd involved is vitally important and we have definitely figured out how to do that. We have fun and in turn the crowd has fun. It must work, we never play to empty clubs.

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
One of our "gimmicks" is to bring the hottest girls in the club up the stage to play tamborine. Once we get the first girl up there every chick in the place wants to come on stage. Sometimes it will just be me and like 10 hot girls on stage while the band roves around the club playing on the dance floor or at the bar. As a cover band getting the crowd involved is vitally important and we have definitely figured out how to do that. We have fun and in turn the crowd has fun. It must work, we never play to empty clubs.
I so wish the front guys in my bands would do this. Your last line says it all.
Getting the crowd involved....if you could do that all night, it almost doesn't matter if your band sounds good or not.

dairyairman

Platinum Member
we have "ok" stage presence but it could probably be better. we have a female lead singer and she's somewhat hot when she's dolled up. that helps. there is some interaction among the rest of us, but no one runs out in the crowd and we don't normally pull people from the crowd to get on the stage. our singer is more of a slow singing, torchy, bernadette peters, girl slung over the piano type anyway so i'm not sure how much jumping up and down and running around is appropriate anyway. we've been told by club owners that we're too laid back and need to rock it up a bit. at this weekend's show i made sure we played all our heaviest stuff and i rocked it up real good which is something i do naturally. that forced the rest of the band to snap out of it and get more animated, which i believe is good.

HeadRush

one reason my band kicked out a bassist was that he wasn't looking at anyone and got angry when we didn't play everything by the book.
oh and he didn't come to practice, but that's not what this thread is about haha

DrumEatDrum

Platinum Member
This hurts my brain.
It should just say "If they JUST want to hear music"

Other than that, it's true.

Why go see a band if you're not interested in "seeing" the band?

Other than a Greatful Dead concert, I've never gone to a show where people didn't bother to pay attention to what was going on on the stage.

Ever see Elvin Jones in concert? Sure, he didn't twirl a stick, he didn't stand up, there were no lasers or fancy lights, but he still put on one hell of a show with the sheer intensity of his playing.

jer

Silver Member
It should just say "If they JUST want to hear music"

Other than that, it's true.
Can you maybe add "popular music" to this? I don't go see jazz groups to check out who they are wearing, nor do I go to vocal choirs to check out their stage antics.

Why go see a band if you're not interested in "seeing" the band?
I go see live music to experience talented musicians sharing their art.

DrumEatDrum

Platinum Member
Can you maybe add "popular music" to this? I don't go see jazz groups to check out who they are wearing, nor do I go to vocal choirs to check out their stage antics.

I go see live music to experience talented musicians sharing their art.
And thus, "the show" you GO to SEE.

Popular has nothing to do with it.

MikeM

Platinum Member
Ever see Elvin Jones in concert? Sure, he didn't twirl a stick, he didn't stand up, there were no lasers or fancy lights, but he still put on one hell of a show with the sheer intensity of his playing.
I've never seen Elvin in concert, but have seen him in countless videos. I agree that the intensity of the player can itself be spectacle enough to hold my interest. That's been my MO for live playing - to just be in the moment and play it like I mean it, and I'm not terribly conservative about live embellishments, either. There's something about the tension of being unpredictable with the fills that adds a lot of excitement.

Of course, sometimes it doesn't work the way you want and the focus then shifts to damage control and making sure the audience doesn't notice. As long as I can minimize the damage and have it more than offset by the spontaneous cool stuff that makes even my bandmates laugh, then all is right with the world!

I've never had anyone tell me that it's didn't look like I was putting enough effort into it, or that I was somehow "phoning it in".

Edit: I don't consider myself a showboater, but I do have to be careful about the bands I play with - it has to work with the music, and the vibe of the band has to allow it. I've played in tame bands before and I just don't enjoy it as much.