Stage hogs. I'm sure there's no cure. But still,

Great point. I know it'll happen, but when it's the only thing they want to do, I'm out.
What if they pause long enough to smoke and pass it, then jump back in?

for me, it is just being in an environment where the area fills up with the smoke. I don't want to smell like it, or have it in my body.

I also don't like "communicating" with people in altered states. It is like being around middle schoolers, and I am around them all day at my job. I prefer some lucid, adult interaction in my down time.

if it is outside, it doesn't bother me as much, but most of the circles I have been in that become "stoned fests" tend to end up being chaotic noise, and I don't vibe on that.

for me, it is just being in an environment where the area fills up with the smoke. I don't want to smell like it, or have it in my body.

I also don't like "communicating" with people in altered states. It is like being around middle schoolers, and I am around them all day at my job. I prefer some lucid, adult interaction in my down time.

if it is outside, it doesn't bother me as much, but most of the circles I have been in that become "stoned fests" tend to end up being chaotic noise, and I don't vibe on that.
It’s not for everyone.

Wow, you take your drum circles seriously!
Well...to an extent. I think by "performance" I mean how they are with interacting with others. Drum performance in those things are various and just fine. But when substances drive the individual to "be the boss" over others, then it's a wrap.
Much like how certain amounts of alcohol make people either calm, submissive or violent. Once the person changes from their normal state, then it's time to either leave or deal with it.

I chose to not deal with it.

A different situation.. but it reminded of a birthday gig I played once.. and as I was setting up a few passersby mentioned that there were 3 drummers in the crowd. So halfway through the gig I notice these 3 guys standing at the back and by their hand gestures they were all talking about drumming. I'd heard that the crowd had a lot of Who fans as they asked to play some Who songs... and then the MC comes up in between songs and says 'these 3 drummers are all Who fans and they would love to get up and play some tunes'. Flashing back to Keith Moon's 'audition' for the Who.. where he got up , jumped on their drummers kit and pulverized it into the ground..'.. so I looked at him and said "Sorry but I don't let anyone play my kit - not even my bandmates!.
Like really.. drunk drummers trying to outshine each other - on my kit - not a chance in hell Lol..

Three drummers and they didn't bring their own kit between them?!
Unh uh.

A different situation.. but it reminded of a birthday gig I played once.. and as I was setting up a few passersby mentioned that there were 3 drummers in the crowd. So halfway through the gig I notice these 3 guys standing at the back and by their hand gestures they were all talking about drumming. I'd heard that the crowd had a lot of Who fans as they asked to play some Who songs... and then the MC comes up in between songs and says 'these 3 drummers are all Who fans and they would love to get up and play some tunes'. Flashing back to Keith Moon's 'audition' for the Who.. where he got up , jumped on their drummers kit and pulverized it into the ground..'.. so I looked at him and said "Sorry but I don't let anyone play my kit - not even my bandmates!.
Like really.. drunk drummers trying to outshine each other - on my kit - not a chance in hell Lol..

that would be like me gopign into a bank and going : "uh, yeah, I want to be an investor, so can I just have a few million to play around with?"

Still got those stage hog blues, here. Hey, man. Let me play drums. The crybabies, jeez. You were the last drummer to arrive. Get here earlier. Why didn't you bother the 1st drummer that played a set to make him get up? It's only 8:15, this set is almost over and we're here until 11 at least, narcissist. You're next and it's still good enough?!
I think I've drummed about 15 years now off and on. Stage hogs were the norm when I started in 1990 and today those guys are still around.

Still got those stage hog blues, here. Hey, man. Let me play drums. The crybabies, jeez. You were the last drummer to arrive. Get here earlier. Why didn't you bother the 1st drummer that played a set to make him get up? It's only 8:15, this set is almost over and we're here until 11 at least, narcissist. You're next and it's still good enough?!
I think I've drummed about 15 years now off and on. Stage hogs were the norm when I started in 1990 and today those guys are still around.
I'm sure you've tried a two word answer?🤬

I normally don't like open mic jams but sometimes they can be fun. It seems that the best ones were the ones that were "managed" with one guy clearly in charge, and directing the operation.

Bringing a mic and some hand percussion is a sure way to guarantee some stage time. Most drummers aren't really in to hand percussion. Drummers kinda look down at percussionists the way guitar players look down on bassists! :D
See at around the 45 second mark "Just being a percussionist"

I don't do any jams unless I'm in opening band and we play for an hour or more, then after break the jammers are welcome to play.

Think I've only been at a jam one time, after playing a metal gig there with my band first. I was asked to stay on the drums in the beginning as I know quite a few cover songs and there didn't seem to be anyone else willing to get on the throne. Had several guitar players come and go for some songs. Was all in all quite fun (tried to do Painkiller by Judas Priest on the fly, but the guitar player couldn't really handle it when the solo started...), but the next day we (I guess me and the bassist who stayed the longest, then) were accused of "hogging the stage all night" by a few unknown people writing about the event. Nobody came up to me and asked to play, so if I'm in the zone and having fun, I continue to play. You can't really sit in the shadow and just expect me coming up to you and give you the sticks :LOL:. Or just walk off the stage when we were on a good roll. But, I don't really know the "jam etiquette" that well as I've basically never attended one, so... Maybe I should have just walked off after a couple of songs.

See at around the 45 second mark "Just being a percussionist"
Here, here to the percussionists!! Sheila E speaks the truth! Being a percussionist takes a lot of skill and finesse, which Sheila definitely exudes in all her playing. -a consummate professional. What she does never takes back seat any drummer.

My church gig is currently about 75% percussion and 25% drumset (when the drummer is absent). I get to transcribe my parts and decide which instruments I will use at a particular point in a song: the field is wide open as there are sooo many choices, textures and sounds that can be used. If aux percussion is played on the song recording, I will emulate that. If not, I can tastefully add something to compliment the song. Restraint is a virtue that almost always trumps chops in this scenario. I always practice the entire set and prepare to play both drumset and percussion.

It is one of the most rewarding and fulfilling playing experiences I've ever had. Our professionally trained music director is fantastic AND he believes that drums and percussion should be heard. How great is that!?!? :love:

@2 hit wonder I hope you can arrive at a good solution that will work for you. Hang in there! (y)

Welcome to jam nights.

There's a reason guys who hog the stage at jam nights can't get a regular gig. Nobody will book them.

Reactions: A J
This place you generally play a set and then relinquish. But they don't always do that if the sets are full of good players. The hogging begins.

This same guy a couple weeks ago played I think 3 sets because I wasn't interested in playing. Last week he played 2 sets and I played 1 short one. I didn't mind since it was his kit and I was a visitor at their function.

But this was back to juvenile land. If you've been playing drums for 60 years and can't let anyone else have one set without crying out, I'm gonna mess with you.

Here, here to the percussionists!! Sheila E speaks the truth! Being a percussionist takes a lot of skill and finesse, which Sheila definitely exudes in all her playing. -a consummate professional. What she does never takes back seat any drummer.

My church gig is currently about 75% percussion and 25% drumset (when the drummer is absent). I get to transcribe my parts and decide which instruments I will use at a particular point in a song: the field is wide open as there are sooo many choices, textures and sounds that can be used. If aux percussion is played on the song recording, I will emulate that. If not, I can tastefully add something to compliment the song. Restraint is a virtue that almost always trumps chops in this scenario. I always practice the entire set and prepare to play both drumset and percussion.

It is one of the most rewarding and fulfilling playing experiences I've ever had. Our professionally trained music director is fantastic AND he believes that drums and percussion should be heard. How great is that!?!? :love:

@2 hit wonder I hope you can arrive at a good solution that will work for you. Hang in there! (y)
Many years ago I played in a band that usually played weddings, a lot of the music had drums and extra percussion. I being only one drummer had to adapt the parts so I could play as close to the original as possible .
This made otherwise simple songs (on the drums) quite challenging to play, but I made it work and got compliments on my playing.
Never put down a percussionist specially in Latin music, they are a huge part of the sound.

Welcome to jam nights.

There's a reason guys who hog the stage at jam nights can't get a regular gig. Nobody will book them.

Get this, one of the guys who has given me crap about wanting me to get up after I've played ONE SINGLE SONG works with 4-5 bands and gigs a bunch. What is wrong with people?!

Reactions: A J
Interesting. I just started attending, and playing, open jams. Two of the ones I went to I’ve been able to play. Both jams (different venues in different states) are run by a guy who leads the house band and players must sign up to play. After the house band plays a short set, they start calling people up to play. Typically a drummer, guitar or two, keys, bass, vocals, sax, harmonica, etc. Each grouping plays 3 tunes and then they call up the next rotation for another 3 tunes and so on. Very organized and fair. No opportunity for stage hogs.

A third jam I went to was very very very poorly run. I decided not to sign up to play there and just left early. Won’t be going back to that one. Clearly there are many who know how to properly run an open jam. The well run jams tend to attract a higher level of musicianship, which just adds to the overall enjoyment of the jam experience. There really is no reason for a poorly run open jam since the “formula” is out there and being used by multiple open jam organizers.

This place you generally play a set and then relinquish. But they don't always do that if the sets are full of good players. The hogging begins.

This same guy a couple weeks ago played I think 3 sets because I wasn't interested in playing. Last week he played 2 sets and I played 1 short one. I didn't mind since it was his kit and I was a visitor at their function.

But this was back to juvenile land. If you've been playing drums for 60 years and can't let anyone else have one set without crying out, I'm gonna mess with you.

they need to do a timer like they do at our open skates; you get 2 minutes on the ice the na big loud buzzer goes off, and the next line goes on. they could hook it up to the soundboard, and after the 2 minutes, the board shuts down until the stage is cleared and the next group goes on....

(was just watching the Leafs/Bruins game, so hockey is on the mind....)

Back