Stage Custom snare wire replacement - need help.

Vinny

Hi folks,

Total newbie here.

I need new snare wires for my recently acquired 1998 Stage Custom snare. The snare wires that came with the drum are attached with that off-white reinforced strapping tape. (actually the tape is so old it's now more yellow).

While shopping online for snare wires I noticed that many of the 14 inch 16 strand wires don't have straps so I'm puzzled as how I would install them.

Can any one tell me how to install them if they don't come with straps or tape.
I saw some threads here about using strings instead of straps but my snare doesn't look like it can use strings.

BTW, I saw the video re the PureSound Pro's and how they come with an advanced speed strapping/pin mechanism. Prefer not to try those yet unless that's the only option.

Thanks,
Vinny

lefty2

Platinum Member
I've mostly used inexpensive snappy snares. The last time I bought some I stepped up to Puresound. I don't know what model, but they're bronze colored, and not real expensive. All snare wires I've bought have straps or cords with them. Maybe the ones you've seen on the net come with them, but are not pictured. As far as using cords. They attach the same as straps. Just loosen the screws and slide the cord under the hold down bar and re-tighten the screws.

opentune

Platinum Member
Most snare wires come with cord or straps. You might not see them in the package behind cardboard. However, the real deal is to go to a craft store and for a few dollars get some grosgrain ribbon. It is far better and holds your snares perfectly. Since reading about it on here I have changed all my snares to this setup.

Vinny

Thanks for the suggestions!

Another question re purchasing the correct length snare wires.

Are the snare wires supposed to be long enough so that the end plates reach across to sit on top of both bearing edges?

I have a 14 inch Stage Custom snare and the wires that came with it only measure 13" from end plates to end plate. (My shell is 14 1/4" in diameter.)

So would I order 13" or 14" inch wires?

alparrott

Platinum Member

Are the snare wires supposed to be long enough so that the end plates reach across to sit on top of both bearing edges?

I have a 14 inch Stage Custom snare and the wires that came with it only measure 13" from end plates to end plate. (My shell is 14 1/4" in diameter.)

Snare wires are labeled for the diameter of the drum they fit, not their actual length. You need a 14" snare.

Moejo

You don't want the snare plates laying on the bearing edge. If you have a 14" snare drum then buy 14" snares.

scorch whammin

Gold Member
BTW, I saw the video re the PureSound Pro's and how they come with an advanced speed strapping/pin mechanism. Prefer not to try those yet unless that's the only option.

Thanks,
Vinny
The Puresound wires with the quick release clip are very nice wires and I really like the quick release feature provided by the clip...I've switched over to these on several of my snares and wholeheartedly recommend them...

alparrott

Platinum Member
The Puresound wires with the quick release clip are very nice wires and I really like the quick release feature provided by the clip...I've switched over to these on several of my snares and wholeheartedly recommend them...
Second this. I have them on my main snare and plan on hooking up my secondary and tertiary snares very soon. They make a variety of sounds that may be bewildering to the novice, though, so you may want to do a bit of research before plunking down the dough (they are a bit more than your generic snare wires).

WallyY

Platinum Member
Here's the standard quick tip about changing snare wires.

Use a sharpie or other marker to mark the old strap or string where it touches the snare throw off and butt attachment plate.

This way you can transfer the markings to your new strap or string so your snare wires will be centered when you install them.

Odd-Arne Oseberg

Platinum Member
There will be straps or cords, pretty much always.

Should you need them, they're really nothing special, but you get packs of cords in any music store.