Stage Custom floor toms

Cymbalise

This era Stage Custom is one of my all time favourite kits - the ones made in Indonesia, particularly in this finish. However I've never seen any matching 14" and 16" floor toms.

Did Yamaha ever make any?

I'd love to put one of these kits together but I really prefer floor toms instead of hanging toms, something Yamaha doesn't seem too keen on (I currently play a set of beech custom absolutes and have never seen the matching floors for them either. Nor do I see a lot of floor toms among the rest of the absolutes found on eBay etc...)

KamaK

Platinum Member
Is that a maple, beech, or a birch?
Do you know the name of the finish?

I've seen gloss natural finishes on the SC Birch floor toms, but not a satin like your kit appears to be.

Cymbalise

It's the Indonesian era stage custom in natural finish. Not gloss or varnished in any obvious way.

Haven't the faintest idea what wood was used. Something cheap no doubt! Definitely not birch/maple etc.

Duck Tape

Platinum Member
Yes, mine had a similar badge "advantage", was made in Indonesia and had floor tom legs. I'm in Australia.. Maybe it's a regional thing.

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
It's the Indonesian era stage custom in natural finish. Not gloss or varnished in any obvious way.

Haven't the faintest idea what wood was used. Something cheap no doubt! Definitely not birch/maple etc.
I had a set of Indonesians and I'm fairly certain they they were Asian Falkata wood with an outer veneer of birch for looks on the lacquered toms. Looks like birch to me on the first pic. I remember the inner ply had vertical grain.

MusiQmaN

Platinum Member
Its a Stage Custom Standard (the Advantage was one of the best sounding SC and referenced a lot to the RC serie) its Birch & Philipine Mahogany.

I've played on a Matte Cranberry Red version, very nice kits (haven't come around a SC that DIDN'T sound good.
To go even further, my 10x5 snare (which I own for over 15 years now) is a upgraded (new strainer system and Yess) Stage Custom Advantage.

http://www.jedistar.com/pdf/yamaha/yamaha_drum_catalog_2013.pdf

It had a wide variety of seperate shells for kick, toms, floors and three snares.

Last edited: