Stack ideas

Kuromaku

I’m almost there in changing up my setup. I’m thinking of adding one more instrument that I don’t have any experience with - a stack.

Pics and descriptions of your stack(s) are appreciated.

Quai34

When I decided to have them on my kit it was because we were playing Dance/Pop songs sure claps and drumbox were everywhere but I wanted to get my drummer doing the same sound or close...
But I didn't have enough experience and cymbals at my disposal to try to build ones on my owns so, I bought the Sabian Mini Monster Stack, AAX Aero splash 12 on a AA mini holy china 12, I love it and all my buddies drummers too...They said that for a first try for a keys player, that was a really good pick.
Then, I thought the Sabian Sizzler 16", XsR china 16" under an Ozone XSR 16 top was a great complement for its little brother...
That said, I have no other experience with stacks than those ones, I was lucky to have both of them available at my store and then able to try them several times...

iCe

If y’all could only have one, would you pick a stack or a splash?
Splash. More diverse sounding IMO and a thinner splash is great for a stack like sound as well.

I don't have separate pics of my stacks, but you can spot them in the thread of my kit. I have 2 stacks; a Paiste PSTX 10" Swiss Splash with a Meinl Gen-X 8" Filter China on the bottom and a Paiste PSTX 14" Flanger Crash with a 12" Filter China on the bottom. If i remember it by then i will take some pics friday next week.

Kuromaku

@iCe How do you like that PSTX 10" on its own? Might go about putting together a stack the old fashioned way by getting some more ingredients first. It looks and sounds like that 10" Swiss would be perfect for turning into the top part of a stack later on as you have done, but I'll use it as a splash for a while first.

bud7h4

Silver Member
If y’all could only have one, would you pick a stack or a splash?
If I have at least one trashy, quick effects cymbal like a smaller/medium sized O-Zone or china, I can get by without a stack. You can't really substitute anything else for a splash.
But it also depends on the type of music I'm playing.

iCe

@iCe How do you like that PSTX 10" on its own? Might go about putting together a stack the old fashioned way by getting some more ingredients first. It looks and sounds like that 10" Swiss would be perfect for turning into the top part of a stack later on as you have done, but I'll use it as a splash for a while first.
Haven't really used it on it's own since i got it, but it's (obviously) trashy. It's not really loud and has a more subtle 'cut' compared to a regular splash, but with added "trashiness".
Paiste is renowned for their consistency, so if you hear the samples on paiste.com you'd get a good reference on how it sounds on it's own.

Steady Freddy

Pioneer Member
Just buy a Paiste stack. I have a 10/12" and a 14" The smaller is set up right over my hi hat. Love em!!! They aren't very expensive either.

Kuromaku

Just buy a Paiste stack. I have a 10/12" and a 14" The smaller is set up right over my hi hat. Love em!!! They aren't very expensive either.
I hear you. Moment to moment, I'm tempted to just get the ready to go Paiste or maybe Zildjian stacks, but I keep wanting to "roll my own". I'm thinking of starting with either a Paiste swiss splash or a Zildjian trashformer and then building from there, adding cheap/old cymbals to one of them.

iCe

I hear you. Moment to moment, I'm tempted to just get the ready to go Paiste or maybe Zildjian stacks, but I keep wanting to "roll my own". I'm thinking of starting with either a Paiste swiss splash or a Zildjian trashformer and then building from there, adding cheap/old cymbals to one of them.
Thinking of it... i used two Trashformers in the past. I had the 8" on top of the 10". That thing was loud and ultra trashy. It did look weird in my setup though because of the (intentional) warped shape of the 10". Still have them, but not using them at the moment. IMO i prefer the Swiss splash over a Trashformer because there is more metal to metal contact. With the Trashformer you only have contact on a few points and the splashes i stacked them with produced some nasty overtones.
Oh and i did once stack my 10" Oriental China Trash with my 10" A-Zildjian Fast Splash and that one sounded great! But stopped using that combo after i wanted the 10" on it's own again.