Spring 2020 Used Gear Market Change?

Jeremy Bender

Platinum Member
One possible effect from this month going forward may be the sudden availability of high quality used gear flooding the market.

Not that people who have lost their their gigs liquidating the very tools they used to make their living is a good thing, but it might help them put food on the table if need be.

Let's hope for the best while preparing for the worst and be good to each other...

Last edited:

Push pull stroke

Platinum Member
At least some people are going to be getting bored and BUYING more used gear. But I agree, the overall trend will be a downward one on price, and an upward one on availability.

Darth Vater

I'm a recovering GAS addict and have been gradually getting down to one kit with the appropriate trimmings. I've got a few things up for sale now. I've sold a few cymbals lately. The market seems about the same to me but I think Jeremy is right in that things might start getting tight for people. I truly hope it doesn't come down to people selling things to survive. That would be awful. I'd rather give somebody some food, or money, than to vulture their equipment.

dwsabianguy

Thankfully I still have a paying job, but yeah I’m unloading a couple odds and ends that I’ve been meaning to sell for quite a while. I’m hanging on to the kits for now though.

And now that I have time to take a closer look at my recording rig, that’s going to get some upgrades. I already re-ran the power in my garage so now all the musical equipment is power conditioned, and I’ve got some new mic pres on the way for my overheads in order to reduce noise... then to open up the DBX compressor rack and rebuild the power supply...

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
I'm not even considering anything that's non essential.

I can't imagine many people buying gear now.

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member

Me either. We have 1 confirmed case in my county now, about 15 miles away. We're pretty much locked down. Only grocery store, gas station, utility drive thru payment if needed. That's it.

My driveshaft can wait. Still. I should have bought that thing years ago when I could and didn't need it.

RickP

Gold Member
I was fortunate that I had my big purge of gear the last year and a half ago . I was able to get fair prices for the kits, snares and cymbals I offloaded .
I did not have any foresight into this health crisis , but simply had too much Gear that was not getting regular use .
I have one last snare drum on order ( Noble and Cooley Horizon) and this will be it for me for the foreseeable future until gigs start happening again .

Last edited:

Jeremy Bender

Platinum Member

For me it's all about timing and what my personal budget can tolerate. I've bought 4 new cymbals in the past few weeks. If I see an offer I can't refuse I'll jump on it.
Oddly enough I have a kit on order from China, no telling how long the delay from Yamaha will be due to the supply/shipping melt down.

I've often been on ebay for the last years and there are about 30% more used items for sale than normally (just an estimate of course).
I guess the two main driving factors are:
- Lots of people are relegated to staying at home and now have more time to sell unnecessary equipment.
- Free lancers need money to pay the rent. I'm worried about some friends in the business - online lessons don't cover the loss of paying gigs. Maybe we should show our support by booking some Skype lessons with teachers.

Darth Vater

I actually sold 6 cymbals this week. I was using two kits for the last 6 years or so. I'm down to just one now. I think I price my stuff fairly but I was surprised they went so quickly. I was kind of sad to let my Zildjian Rock 21 go as I bought it new in 1972. Oh well, life goes on. :cry:

dale w miller

Silver Member
I bought a new cymbal bag, but the reason is I have time to stare at my drum room and see how I want organize some of this clutter.