splash cymbal vs china cymbal-choose one

braincramp

Gold Member
Say you have very limited space or funds and can only choose one of these..which would you choose brands not an issue or size other then the obvious has to be a splash size of 6"-12" I'm sure someone will say they have a 5" or 13" splash or china splash..lol..but you get the meaning here... splash or china? my vote is China

shemp

Silver Member
I like both....but I have a 12" K splash that has a china type blast and character to it. It's not the same but close enough and i like it so much that I have not bought a china.

GruntersDad

Administrator - Mayor
Staff member
I would say it depends on the type of music you play most of the time. I know there are jazz types with chinas, and metal types with splashes, but I think the majority leans just the opposite.

Jimmy900

To be honest with you, I've never been a fan of China cymbals. To me they add a peculiar dark sound that is inconsistent with everything else I play. I prefer splash cymbals because they obviusly add an extra bit of colour but are consistent with anything that you play.

porter

Platinum Member
Probably an aggressive splash (like a Sabian AAX Air Splash, HHX Evolution Splash, or Zildjian FX Oriental Splash) or a soft china (like a Meinl Byzance Traditional Flat China).

I'd probably go with the 12" or 10" HHX as my first effect cymbal.

konaboy

Pioneer Member
Definitely depends on the music you are playing. I had a Zildjian 20" High China that I used a ton back in the late '80's/early 90's. These days I find that a splash is more useful. Have an 8" and 10" A series and a 9" K Custom Hybrid. Those fit my playing and music style better now.

alparrott

Platinum Member
I bought my first splash before my first china, but honestly, I'd be happier doing a gig with a china than a splash.

DrumEatDrum

Platinum Member
Two very different sounds for different purposes.

It's like saying do you choose between screw driver or a hammer. Well, that depends if you're working with a nail or a screw.

Poewertrip

To be honest with you, I've never been a fan of China cymbals. To me they add a peculiar dark sound that is inconsistent with everything else I play. I prefer splash cymbals because they obviusly add an extra bit of colour but are consistent with anything that you play.
I agree. I never use my China, but I use my splashes all the time. I just picked up a Sabian AAX Air Splash. It's a nice aggressive splash. Give it a shot!

taiko

This seems to be a non-question. Splashes and chinas are different, so it's like comparing apples and cucumbers. They are both fruit, but there it ends. I play jazz and have a couple of splashes and a couple of chinas. The one I really like is my Meinl 22" China with six rivets. But I can't compare that to the splashes, since they are so different. If I have space and feel like lugging around something to put the splash on, then I use both. If I don't, I tend towards the China. But that's just personal taste.

taiko

I would say it depends on the type of music you play most of the time. I know there are jazz types with chinas, and metal types with splashes, but I think the majority leans just the opposite.
Jazz drummer Jeff Hamilton uses a china and it sounds really good. I don't think a china without rivets works well for jazz, but when you add the rivets it can sound great. And, of course, there is the swishknocker...

Road Bull

Silver Member
For the music my band plays, using a splash would be like whistling in a hurricane. I had taken a break from anything other than rides, hi-hats, and crashes for over a year. I recently acquired a Paiste 2002 20" Novo China. I like to keep my kit pretty small, well at least in number of pieces, but I think this is a keeper. It is a cool take on the china effect, and I dig it.

Cymbalise

Sticking to the OP's ruthless original query, I'd say a china, particularly in a larger diameter (20"+). You can do so much more with one of these depending on how you play it.

A splash, although wonderful for some applications, is just too much of a one trick pony if you can only have one effect cymbal, as is propositioned.

Personally though, I play both!

SmoothOperator

Gold Member
My I use my 6" splash less than my china, probably the least in my set, you really have to ding it just right to get a good sound and not break it, and then it only works in a narrow dynamic range. My 15" thin crash gets a fair amount of use, I imagine a 12" splash would too, though my buddies 12" Zildjian A seemed to have some of the same dynamics issues, you really had to hit it to make it sound good, though nothing quite beats that sharp intensity.

Southpaw99

Couldn't agree more.

braincramp

Gold Member
my all time fav is a sabian 19" Paragon China it is somewhere between a china and a crash..just a great cymbal!! seller remorse : (

Bretton

Silver Member
I just had to make this decision thanks to limited number of inputs on my electric kit module.

had to go with the china.