Spinal Tap Moments

Peedy

Ya know what we're missing around here? A thread detailing Spinal Tap type moments.

* Spontaneously combusting band members? (keyboard players - burn baby burn)
* Metallica stealing yer schtick?
* Groupies that you're pretty sure are as old as yer mom?
* Or. . . whatever?

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
My favorite is the bass player trying to get through the airport metal detector with a foil wrapped cucumber in his pants. I've told my wife if I ever have to get on one of those 600mph fart tubes* again, I'm doing this.

*I hate flying. I'm not afraid of it, I just find it the most annoying, unpleasant, uncomfortable, disgusting way to get anywhere, minus maybe the subway.

Xstr8edgtnrdrmrX

- I have had many gigs that were like the Jazz odyssey/puppet show/Air Force base gig...like, you get there and are like "why the hell are we playing this place...."
- my high school band was pretty much Spinal Tap in a way

I constantly use references form that movie in my day-to-day life though...legendary film

KamaK

Platinum Member
The only Spinal-tap-esque thing to happen to me in the last decade was when I was using a leaf blower on the front yard. I was wearing sweat-pants without the cord tied, which proceeded to get sucked into the impeller and lead to hilarity and a fair bit of honking from passing-by automobiles.

Peedy

The only Spinal-tap-esque thing to happen to me in the last decade was when I was using a leaf blower on the front yard. I was wearing sweat-pants without the cord tied, which proceeded to get sucked into the impeller and lead to hilarity and a fair bit of honking from passing-by automobiles.
Good thing no cell phones were out recording for posterity. My most Spinal Tapesque happening was when our music leader had a song that she wanted to rock. She told me to pound it out. Boy did I. My wife said the church really got into it, but nobody could hear the singing over the drums.

be careful what you wish for.

PorkPieGuy

Platinum Member
Prop failure (in reference to the pod that wouldn't open in addition to the failed Stonehenge concept):

A band I was in back in the 1990s couldn't afford decent lighting, so a couple of the guys went to Lowe's and got a few of those 500 watt work lights. They put traditional gels on them to "color" the light. About 30 seconds into our first song, we smelled smoke because (of course) the gels melted onto the lights and almost caught on fire. They then bought one of those "stained glass" kits, and well, burned that up as well.

Same band wanted a backdrop, but we couldn't afford it, so a couple of them went and bought a tarp and some reflective tape. We set it up and played in front of it. We stepped away from the stage after we played and looked back at the area we were playing, and I swear it looked like a huge garbage bag behind us. We looked like we were playing in a landfill. We never used it again.

Last edited:

PorkPieGuy

Platinum Member
Good thing no cell phones were out recording for posterity. My most Spinal Tapesque happening was when our music leader had a song that she wanted to rock. She told me to pound it out. Boy did I.
I had a worship leader who told me to just "let go" and "be free" on the drums. I told him "no way" because he had no idea how much I was holding back every service.

Last edited:

Jayson

The scene in the limo was funny. The driver goes on about Frank Sinatra or something - and then the band in the back rolls up the limo window (separating the driver from the backseat). So then the driver comments all this stuff "is a fad".