Spin-off of the cheap jazz cymbal thread

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
This is a really well written article. Perfect for this situation. It raised a question with me though, that is off the subject of Todd's article.

Say I'm looking for cymbal X and I find one right off the bat for what's considered market price or even slightly above.

Is it really worth spending at least a few hours of my time trying to save 50 or 100 bucks trying to get a better deal?

It's one thing if the hunt and chase are the real motivators, but economically speaking, wouldn't it be a better deal to just grab the one in the beginning? Does the time spent hunting and chasing...compared to paying the market price or above...wouldn't they at least cancel each other out or even worse? Is a long hunt and chase worth the money saved?

I'd love to hear your opinions.

force3005

Silver Member
Hi Larry. If it's what you are looking for (sound wise) and it's what you want, than buy it. If you come back and it's gone you'll might be kicking yourself in the head. It's not like a kit (high end) that's 80% off for a day or so. Buy the cymbal and let us know what happens with a review.

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
Hi Larry. If it's what you are looking for (sound wise) and it's what you want, than buy it. If you come back and it's gone you'll might be kicking yourself in the head. It's not like a kit (high end) that's 80% off for a day or so. Buy the cymbal and let us know what happens with a review.
I'm not buying anything. I just wanted to discuss the economic situation of spending too much time for too little savings.

Steady Freddy

Pioneer Member
Some people have more time than money. Some have more money than time. Some have both, some have neither. If I see some thing I have to have I buy it. I can always make more money. The real power in life is the ability to make a decision, Too many hem and haw and end up not getting or not doing. Making a decision moves you forward. Not making one keeps you static. How you reach that decision varies, but if you snooze you lose.

GruntersDad

Administrator - Mayor
Staff member
I guess you would have to determine just how much your time is worth. I had a talk with my son, when I was still working, that revolved around, how many hours do I have to work to afford something. The other thing is, if I spent five hours looking for the cymbal, what would I have done with those five hours, had I not been looking for the cymbal???

Winston_Wolf

Platinum Member
In general I enjoy the hunt and finding a deal. If I was in a time crunch situation where I needed a particular cymbal (or any other piece of gear) and I was being paid to have the correct gear, then yes, I'd just go find it at street price and be done with it.

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
The other thing is, if I spent five hours looking for the cymbal, what would I have done with those five hours, had I not been looking for the cymbal???
I'm just saying that the time could have been spent making more money instead of finding ways to spend existing money.

Still, if you spent 5 hours and save 50 bucks...that's 10 dollars an hour. So I guess I get it. I value my time way more than than 10 an hour, so it's not worth it to me.

SYMBOLIC DEATH

For me it all depends on what I'm looking for. If it's something common then I'll take my time and wait for a deal. If it's something that's rare/hard to find then I'll jump on a deal at a price point I'm comfortable with.

Peedy

For me it all depends on what I'm looking for. If it's something common then I'll take my time and wait for a deal. If it's something that's rare/hard to find then I'll jump on a deal at a price point I'm comfortable with.
+1

Is it new? I’ll look around for a deal. Is it vintage? I’ll probably just do it in case I don’t see it again.

EhhSoCheap

Over time, I've gotten somewhat savvy with search terms and setting alerts for eBay, Reverb, etc.

For instance, I had been waiting for a Sabian AA Raw Ride to pop up for < $150 for a good while, and within minutes of one being listed on eBay I purchased it because of an email alert I'd set up.

While I enjoy getting lost down the rabbit hole from time to time, these sites can often do the work for you.

jornthedrummer

Silver Member
When I buy online, I’ll give Sweetwater, Memphis Drum Shop, Drum Centre of Portsmouth, etc preference as they are providing me a lot of online educational stuff and sound samples I can learn from. I won’t pay a premium, but I’ll give them preference at market rate.

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
I hate shopping. I usually know what I want and where it is before I go. I'm on a mission when shopping. From God. With the exception of cymbals, I usually just grab what I want then go. Shopping is very chaotic. I can't handle the mass disorganization and confusion amongst all the shoppers. I want to smack at least half of them.

Drumolator

Platinum Member
To me, time is way more valuable than money. Five years from now, is that $40 difference really going to matter? If you enjoy the "hunt," then go right ahead and hunt. Peace and goodwill.

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
Over time, I've gotten somewhat savvy with search terms and setting alerts for eBay, Reverb, etc.

For instance, I had been waiting for a Sabian AA Raw Ride to pop up for < $150 for a good while, and within minutes of one being listed on eBay I purchased it because of an email alert I'd set up.

While I enjoy getting lost down the rabbit hole from time to time, these sites can often do the work for you.
I reckon that does impact things heavily making the hunt more attractive.