Spell check

Would someone please advise our fellow drummers to use spell check before they post threads. It makes the whole drumming community look bad when people cannot spell basic words such as "tuning".

beatdat

It makes the whole drumming community look bad when people cannot spell basic words such as "tuning".
If every drummer misspelled a particular word, you'd have a point. As is, you're generalizing from a specific.

I'll take poor spelling over a logical fallacy every time.

AzHeat

Platinum Member
Most of my spelling errors come at the hand of autocorrect switching things out on me. I usually find the mistake once I get on a bigger screen.

GruntersDad

Administrator - Mayor
Staff member
I normally check my posts before posting, but I do that for email and other posts. Points are neither gained or lost on this forum for spelling. Many people use English as a second language here so we are just happy to have them contribute. Drum on.

Soulfinger

Most of my spelling errors come at the hand of autocorrect switching things out on me.
This.
Is there any way to disable autocorrect on this forum? Drives me nuts by randomly inserting capital letters. Or is this a browser issue? (I´m on a computer, not a cell phone BTW.)

Tamaefx

Silver Member
English isn't my native language, some mispelled words or faulty grammar may appear unfortunately. I tend to edit a lot though.
About spell check : there is a word I doubt about : for sound, to what I thought we should use the word damping, but i see a lot the word dampening ; which one is correct ? which one means muffling ?

EDIT : in the new style forum, the city and country don't show anymore, a pity.

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
English isn't my native language, some mispelled words or faulty grammar may appear unfortunately. I tend to edit a lot though.
About spell check : there is a word I doubt about : for sound, to what I thought we should use the word damping, but i see a lot the word dampening ; which one is correct ? which one means muffling ?

EDIT : in the new style forum, the city and country don't show anymore, a pity.
Dampening is the correct term. To dampen something is to muffle it or make less strong, as well as make something wet. So when you are adding moongel or duct tape, you are dampening the head.

Damping is something totally different.

KamaK

Platinum Member
Would someone please advise our fellow drummers to use spell check before they post threads. It makes the whole drumming community look bad when people cannot spell basic words such as "tuning".

Many of us simply use the built-in Chrome spellcheck, which can sometimes lead to hilarity.

Don't condom people for using spell check.

:)

Ronzo

I aint gots know use for spell cheque.
They're spellings and grammars may knot be good but mines is fine.
Shoooootttt...man!

jansara

No need to loose you're mind over this.

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
Dampening is the correct term. To dampen something is to muffle it or make less strong, as well as make something wet. So when you are adding moongel or duct tape, you are dampening the head.

Damping is something totally different.
According to googles, both those terms can be used interchangably as it relates to drum muffling.

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
According to googles, both those terms can be used interchangably as it relates to drum muffling.
I did more searching. I looked them up earlier, but have found more info. Damping is a noun, it's the thing. Dampening is the verb, or what is done. So to make things more confusing, I placed a damper on the head for a dampening effect.

Hope this helps!

Tamaefx

Silver Member
So it's right to say :"a dampening device to damp the head", and faulty to say "a damping device to dampen the head" ?

Thanks for your clarification ;-)

dboomer

So it's right to say :"a dampening device to damp the head", and faulty to say "a damping device to dampen the head" ?

Thanks for your clarification ;-)
Depends on the context. If you are speaking about dissipating vibrations the scientifically correct word is damp.

However as this is not a scientific forum either will get your point across, although it dumbs down the language.

Tamaefx

Silver Member
Since I’m French, I’m not aware of some nuances. The dampen/ damp /damping / dampening thing seems complicated even for natives ;-)! Let say muffling then :D

Last edited: