Speed cobra issue - right beater not touching head

PQleyR

Platinum Member
Here's a strange one. I've had a pair of Tama Speed Cobras for a few months now, and have got on with them really well...great playing action, good power and speed etc.

However, when I got back from a recent trip abroad I noticed that the right footboard actually touched the baseplate before the beater contacted the head, resulting in a metallic click with every stroke! I had taken off the Cobra Coils to reduce noise while recording, and for that recording I'd used a 22" kick with no apparent problems. When I got back to my 26" I experimented with the tuning and tuned the head a lot lower than usual to see what it sounded like, but then encountered this strange problem. I put the Cobra Coils back on to prevent the click but still found that even when I stood on the pedal, the beater didn't actually touch the head...when I play a stroke, the momentum carries the beater forward beyond the point it stops if I just depress the pedal slowly. The left pedal doesn't have this problem at all. Has anyone else encountered something like this? It's really strange, and I don't remember it being like this when I first got the pedal either.

I think it's normal that you can't get the beater to touch when you're putting weight on the pedal but maybe you can compare the chain length and beater + footboard angle with the slave pedal to see if something has come unstuck.

But like I say, the left beater touches. I've never encountered a pedal where you couldn't actually press the beater against the head. Adjusting the beater/footboard angle makes no difference because obviously if I adjust the beater , the footboard moves with it due to the chain.

I've managed to sort this out now, I'm not used to being able to adjust the beater angle relative to the footboard so easily. I can only assume it must have slipped a bit at some point and only suddenly become noticeable.

Back