Speed Cobra Differences on Different Bass Drums

fpmr96a

I've recently switched from DW 5000 to Speed Cobra and can notice my increase in speed, as well as my ability to do Heel-Toe.

However, I've noticed that I'm playing it much faster on my Yamaha Birch Custom Absolute 20" bass drum then when playing the same pedal on my Gretsch Renown 22" bass drum.

I think the head could be a little looser on the Gretsch drum, but probably not by much. I'm trying hard to make sure I'm in the same position on both kits to rule that out. But, definitely not able to do heel-toe as effectively on the Gretsch and therefore can't match the speed.

konaboy

Pioneer Member
different size drum equals different head tension and rebound. Also I'm guessing you are adjusting your beater to hit either middle or just below middle on each head. If so the length of the beater is shorter on the 20 which would make it easier to move and play.

lefty2

Platinum Member
The depth of the hoop will make a difference too. I've noticed this before. The pedal may be sitting closer to the head on the Gretsch drum changing the the way the pedal feels. You might check to see if they're the same.

fl.tom

I regularly play 20" and 22" bass drums as well... primarily using a Sonor Perfect Balance, Tama Speed Cobra 910 or Yamaha FP7210 pedal.

Given the Speed Cobra doesn't have an adjustable support frame to raise/lower the rocker shaft, I presume you're changing the height of your beater to ensure it strikes about the same position on each BD head. If so, this can be a problematic approach because shorter beater lengths tend to provide faster action with less power while longer lengths tend to provide the reverse.

My humble recommendation is to set the beater at a height that feels most comfortable (or split the difference between the current two different lengths), leave it at the same length for each BD and let them hit at different heights.

Then experiment with different tensions/tunings of batter and reso heads on the 20" or 22" BD (or both if you ended up splitting the difference in beater heights) until you get a similar head rebound and desirable sound from both. You might have to crank the reso (and possibly the batter) higher on the 22" than you're used to and raise its overall pitch by a few semitones, but this is understandable given the difference in the volume of air being moved between the two.

Another option is to set the pedal spring tension differently for each BD, but I find it easier to adapt between different size BDs by keeping pedal settings the same.

JosephDAqui

Silver Member
I have the Speed Cobra 910 double pedal and I play a 20x17" Yamaha SCB BD at my band's practice space weekly and I record/play live a 22x16" Pearl SSC once a month (maybe). Now, at home, I practice every day with a Yamaha DTX KP125, all using this same pedal. I was able to get the rebound very, very close by firsts tuning the larger BD to my optimal tuning from the TuneBot, so the batter head is 70 MHz. Then I set the smaller one to be slightly less (66) to compensate for the difference in mass and diameter. Somehow, it works out, making the transition from each isn't a big deal anymore, and I think it's because I don't rely too much on rebound, but I keep the springs low to medium, beater height optimal and I try to play as ergonomically as possible - not too much effort.

Also, I keep the cobra coils in the middle setting. All of our songs use fast double kick so I can say that I'm not fatigued after practice or at home.

Basically, just try your best to dial in the rebound to be similar, as well as heads, distance from beater to strike point and etc.

fpmr96a

I’m the OP - thanks very much for all of the great advice.

I actually play on 4 kits, but only mentioned my 2 primary kits. I use another old Yamaha kit at one band’s rehearsal space and an old Pearl kit at a different band’s rehearsal space. Third band rehearses at my house. My Gretsch remains packed up, ready to move for gigs.

I’m now thinking of selling my Dw 5000 and buying 2 more speed cobras. Then, I’ll adjust each specifically for the drum they’ll be used with. I hate to tune my drums to fit the pedal, but hope I can adjust each pedal to get the same kind of action. I’ve never been very good at pedal adjustments, so all the great recommendations will be helpful.

Thanks again,
Sam

trickg

Silver Member
The depth of the hoop will make a difference too. I've noticed this before. The pedal may be sitting closer to the head on the Gretsch drum changing the the way the pedal feels. You might check to see if they're the same.
Lefty beat me to it - that's what I was going to mention, although I don't know if that's relevant to your situation. That and head tension/rebound.

I sub around at different churches as a worship drummer, and I've often noticed a difference in general feel between bass drums on different kits even though I'm using the same Iron Cobra Rolling Glide pedal for everything.

fpmr96a

You're right. The Gretsch hoop is deeper and therefore the pedal is further back from the head, than the Yamaha. How do you recommend that I compensate for this difference?

Steve.B

Hi All,

Please excuse my naivety, but on the premise that there are no stupid questions.....can I use a speed cobra on a 18" bass drum without a riser or would it be detrimental to the sound, as I don't think the legs on my bass drum will reach the floor with a riser.
Hope that makes sense, as looking at buying a pedal soon.

Thanks

Steve B

thebarak

Hi All,

Please excuse my naivety, but on the premise that there are no stupid questions.....can I use a speed cobra on a 18" bass drum without a riser or would it be detrimental to the sound, as I don't think the legs on my bass drum will reach the floor with a riser.
Hope that makes sense, as looking at buying a pedal soon.

Thanks

Steve B
Yes you can use a speed cobra on an 18" bass drum without a riser. That is what I do.

hawksmoor

Talking of the Speed Cobra, and I don't mean to hijack this thread, but I can't make that para clamp work on every bass drum hoop like Tama says it can. In fact on two seperate backline kits in the same venue, where we play regularly, I have to bodge up the hoop with gaffer tape and kitchen roll paper for the pedal to clamp on at all. Tempted to take the clamp apart and start again.