Speed cobra cam?

Mastiff

I was looking at the speed cobra a bit, perhaps as a double replacement for my DW5000 single. For the DW's, there's the "turbo" and "accelerator", the latter having an eccentric cam. I have the turbo. Where does speed cobra fall? It doesn't appear to be adjustable as far as I can tell, nor do I see options for different kinds to purchase.

Tama's Power Glide cam might be compatible with the speed cobra. That could be interesting, although the recessed pedal on the speed cobra is already designed to increase acceleration and power.

I don't know for sure, but the IC cam should fit. I have a Dbl. SC and like it a lot.

I'm really just asking what the SC cam is like. Is it like a turbo, or like an accelerator? And is there only one choice when buying SC, or are there multiple part #'s with different cam profiles?

I'm really just asking what the SC cam is like. Is it like a turbo, or like an accelerator? And is there only one choice when buying SC, or are there multiple part #'s with different cam profiles?

You can only order it with one cam profile, the "Lite Sprocket" which is symmetrically curved (round) like the Rolling Glide cam.

The can on the Speed Cobras is a Lite
Sprocket Rolling Glide cam. The equivalent for DW is the Turbo Cam, or the rounded cam, not the eccentric cam.

As far as I can tell from the Tama website, the Speed Cobra only comes with a Rolling Glide cam.

Rolling glide is a round cam. The movement of the beater remains constant with the rotation of the cam (and downward movement of the pedalboard).

Power glide is an elliptical cam. The movement of the beater increases distance forward (i.e., not constant) as the cam rotates.

I used a DW 5000 with an accelerator (elliptical) cam and it never felt good to me. As if I was always off the beat somehow. I switched to an Iron Cobra Rolling Glide and from the first note it felt like I was in the pocket.

To each his own.

feat_HP900_Power_Glide_Cam.jpg

feat_HP900_Rolling_Glide_Cam.jpg

I wondered and checked into it recently when I went and tried every pedal in every music store around.
The speed cobra cam is a round cam, I believe it's the exact same as the current version IC rolling glide, and it's most similar to the turbo cam on the 5000.

Back