Speed Cobra 310 vs 910? Any 310 owners here?

Doraemon

I have the Tama HP910LW double pedal and love it, but I may need a second pair. I've been thinking about the cheaper version (HP310LW), but I'm not sure if I would save $200 or waste $200 with such a compromise. Is there anyone who had it and tried both? I had a single HP310L for a few days, but it started squeeking.. so I became worried about its build quality, having more plastic parts. Also the deep groove on the heel plate annoys me a little (add glue?). The other difference is the Cobra coil, but that would be easily transportable and can be bought separately. What do you think?

Last edited:

K Chez

I may be wrong, but I think the 310's don't have an independent beater adjustment. You could always buy two Vari-pitch beater holders for around $20.00 ea and swap them out if you like working on stuff.

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
I have the Tama HP910LW double pedal and love it, but I may need a second pair. I've been thinking about the cheaper version (HP310LW), but I'm not sure if I would save $200 or waste $200 with such a compromise. Is there anyone who had it and tried both? I had a single HP310L for a few days, but it started squeeking.. so I became worried about its build quality, having more plastic parts. Also the deep groove on the heel plate annoys me a little (add glue?). The other difference is the Cobra coil, but that would be easily transportable and can be bought separately. What do you think?
This has come up before, but of course I cant find it now.

The 910 is far superior. You can swap over the cobra coil, but the hoop clamp, heel bearing, beater, and infinite adjustments are not the same. If you bought the better parts to improve the 310, you will spend more $$$ than if you had just bought the 910 in the first place.

You already have reservations about the 310 from prior experience. Use that experience to make a wise decision.

Doraemon

This has come up before, but of course I cant find it now.

The 910 is far superior. You can swap over the cobra coil, but the hoop clamp, heel bearing, beater, and infinite adjustments are not the same. If you bought the better parts to improve the 310, you will spend more $$$ than if you had just bought the 910 in the first place.

You already have reservations about the 310 from prior experience. Use that experience to make a wise decision.
I did a search too, but couldn't find anything.
Sure the 910 is the perfect one, the only problem with it is the price. :) I can’t afford it atm, and wonder if buying none is still a better choice long term. I wouldn’t mind to give up on some functionality if the construction was reliable, that is my main concern about its little brother.

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
I did a search too, but couldn't find anything.
Sure the 910 is the perfect one, the only problem with it is the price. :) I can’t afford it atm, and wonder if buying none is still a better choice long term. I wouldn’t mind to give up on some functionality if the construction was reliable, that is my main concern about its little brother.
There is always used. No reason to be afraid of used pedals. Unless they were thrown off a cliff then run over, used pedals usually function just as well as their new counterparts.

IBitePrettyHard

I have the 310 Speed Cobra single pedal. I absolutely love it. Zero complaints.

This is coming from someone who already has a DW 9002 double pedal. I consider myself to be somewhat picky.

Unless there's some wonky settings you need from your pedal, you'll be 100% satisfied with a 310. That's my take.

It's a bargain at around $100.

Doraemon

I have the 310 Speed Cobra single pedal. I absolutely love it. Zero complaints.

This is coming from someone who already has a DW 9002 double pedal. I consider myself to be somewhat picky.

Unless there's some wonky settings you need from your pedal, you'll be 100% satisfied with a 310. That's my take.

It's a bargain at around $100.
How long have you been using it?

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
The connecting rod u-joint are what wears out
Edit: oops saw the above post
The question of "how fast do you need to go" should probably be addressed also...

...so @Doraemon how fast do you need to go? Are you playing extreme metal and doing heel toe, or are you a moderate double kick user? If it's the former, you want the Trick driveshaft as already suggested. If it's the latter, the OEM shaft might be fine.

Doraemon

The question of "how fast do you need to go" should probably be addressed also...

...so @Doraemon how fast do you need to go? Are you playing extreme metal and doing heel toe, or are you a moderate double kick user? If it's the former, you want the Trick driveshaft as already suggested. If it's the latter, the OEM shaft might be fine.
Thanks for the suggestions. I’m not that fast yet. i think I’d just use it until it breaks, if it does, then I can find a better one.

Doraemon

I've had it about a year.

If durability is your concern, I wouldn't worry about it at all. I've had an older Iron Cobra for 20 years and it still plays as well as the day I got it. Tama has always been reliable af.
Thanks for the info! This is the kind of comment that confuses me :) There are almost only 5-star reviews about it on the web.
I wish they had them on display somewhere, but even before it got backordered everywhere, it was only available online...

IBitePrettyHard

Thanks for the info! This is the kind of comment that confuses me :) There are almost only 5-star reviews about it on the web.
I wish they had them on display somewhere, but even before it got backordered everywhere, it was only available online...
I generally like my Speed Cobra 310 better than my DW 9000. It doesn't play like a cheap pedal at all.

I have a 310 single (with the IC black rubber beater) on my VDrums kit, and even though it doesn't have the bells´n´whisles to the 910, I prefer it to my squeaky, grindy and all-round honking old gen1 910 double. I find I'm fleeter of foot using the 310 than the 910, I think the 910´s best days are behind it to be honest! OK the 310 doesn't leave the house so I'm unsure of its roadworthiness, but I dig the floaty feeling of the cheaper spring and it still retains most of the power characteristics of the more expensive 910.

Doraemon

I have a 310 single (with the IC black rubber beater) on my VDrums kit, and even though it doesn't have the bells´n´whisles to the 910, I prefer it to my squeaky, grindy and all-round honking old gen1 910 double. I find I'm fleeter of foot using the 310 than the 910, I think the 910´s best days are behind it to be honest! OK the 310 doesn't leave the house so I'm unsure of its roadworthiness, but I dig the floaty feeling of the cheaper spring and it still retains most of the power characteristics of the more expensive 910.
I'm also using an ekit, it's probably half the reason why I'm so sensitive about noises. Maybe I was out of luck finding a squeeky 310 at first, I'd only risk getting a pedal with free returns anyway. I suppose you had your 910 for a lot longer, did it start wearing out early? The new generation may have improved since, mine still looks and feels brand new.

I'm also using an ekit, it's probably half the reason why I'm so sensitive about noises. Maybe I was out of luck finding a squeeky 310 at first, I'd only risk getting a pedal with free returns anyway. I suppose you had your 910 for a lot longer, did it start wearing out early? The new generation may have improved since, mine still looks and feels brand new.
Yeah my 1st gen 910 wore out real quick, total friday afternoon pedal. I bought it in 2013 and I've had bits fly off it all over the place on tour and it grinds and rattles like hell now which is a total let down. I've recently bought the newer version of the 910 which is great and only ends up on my acoustic kit at our practice space, the old 910 is just on the E-kit now and not always in use, only when I need to practice the double-kick lines for my bands material but I'm mostly enjoying just using the single 310 for practicing at home.

Stay away from 310. I just sold one. They're noisy. They have play in the footboard - they actually rattle. Their quality is nothing like the 910. Do yourself a favour and stay away from them.

IBitePrettyHard

Stay away from 310. I just sold one. They're noisy. They have play in the footboard - they actually rattle. Their quality is nothing like the 910. Do yourself a favour and stay away from them.
That's surprising to hear. Tama pedals are famous for being dependable and are not known for issues like that. My 310 is great, no squeak or play in the pedal at all after 1.5 years of use.