Speed Cobra 310 problem?

Grace :)

I'm having a bit of trouble with a Tama Speed Cobra 310 single pedal I bought recently and I'm hoping one of you may be able to help me fix it

The issue is that the top of the footboard hits the wing nut that attaches the pedal to the kick drum hoop, before the beater hits the head.

I've never had this problem with any pedal before so I can't quite work out how to fix it - my brain says this is a problem with the beater angle, but the only way to adjust the angle (as far as I can tell) is to adjust the footboard angle, so this doesn't solve it.

It looks like on the Speed Cobra 910 there's the ability to adjust the beater angle independently from the footboard, but not on the 310 - but without moving the angle the pedal is next to useless!

I'm probably missing something REALLY obvious here, can anyone help me out?

Thanks!

porter

Platinum Member
Well, I don't have the pedal, but judging from looking around the internet for a bit it doesn't sound like there's an independent adjustment for the footboard/beater. There is an allen screw where such an adjustment might be placed (pictured below) but if it would only theoretically let you tilt the part 60º to the next edge of the hexagonal rod it might be too far in that direction.

Couple things that might help: 1) make sure the wingnut is screwed as far in as it can be, 2) make sure the pedal is as far forward on the bass drum hoop as it can be (reducing travel of beater, reducing travel of board), 3) tilt the bass drum a little more towards you? same rationale as 2, 4) shorten the chain a bit somehow (don't ask me!), 5) get a Cobra Coil – might keep the board away from the wingnut?? not sure, and 6) get a shorter wingnut with the same thread as the current one and replace it.

bud7h4

Silver Member
Maybe the chain is not in the correct position on the cam. See if it can be moved up the cam at all. Easy to do, just use the drum key to remove the metal plate covering the chain at the top of the cam.

Grace :)

Thanks for all the suggestions - I've given everything a try and unfortunately still getting the same problem, so I'll pop onto the Tama forum and hopefully they might have seen it with this pedal before!

Reggae_Mangle

Silver Member
Some pedals don't allow you independent adjustment of beater and footboard angle, so you have to do a kind of fine balancing act between bottoming out and having the footboard too high/beater too far back.

One mod you could try is to have a couple of the links of the chain removed. That would help.

bud7h4

Silver Member
Some pedals don't allow you independent adjustment of beater and footboard angle, so you have to do a kind of fine balancing act between bottoming out and having the footboard too high/beater too far back.
If the footboard isn't independently adjustable, it will always be in the same position when the beater strikes the head no matter how far back or forward the beater is set.

Reggae_Mangle

Silver Member
If the footboard isn't independently adjustable, it will always be in the same position when the beater strikes the head no matter how far back or forward the beater is set.
Oh, yeah, true. Thanks for pointing that out.

I wonder what the problem is here.