Speed and stamina for the hands?

intheruff

Good posts, all. A tip I didn't see that seems worth sharing is to practice rudiments, even double stroke rolls, on a soft forgiving surface, such as a pillow. The technique should be NOT to pound or flail the surface, but instead 'pull off' the pillow as you would when properly executing a chop on your kit. This old method has continued to increase my speed and stamina without fail. And... always use a metro...

Wavelength

Platinum Member
Good posts, all. A tip I didn't see that seems worth sharing is to practice rudiments, even double stroke rolls, on a soft forgiving surface, such as a pillow. The technique should be NOT to pound or flail the surface, but instead 'pull off' the pillow as you would when properly executing a chop on your kit. This old method has continued to increase my speed and stamina without fail. And... always use a metro...
I guess you haven't used the search function. Pillow practice is pretty much the oldest trick in the book.

Last edited:

intheruff

'guess you haven't used the search function. Pillow practice is pretty much the oldest trick in the book.'

no I haven't, and yes it is... some may not know of this 'technique', which is why I shared it.

TheMarkV

yeah, thats the trick of the trade. but its still important to play on a real pad or drum to keep the feel, and continue to build up your speed on that too so you keep a well balanced touch to the sticks. i usually find it helpful to even move around to surfaces like tables that give more rebound than a drum too. im not exactly sure why it helps in theory but it just gives you an oppertunity to build up more stick control.

intheruff

'but its still important to play on a real pad or drum to keep the feel,'

Most definetely!!! The pillow ditty is great practice when zoned on the tube. Just another trick in the bag. Table? If I used our wooden (alder) table for such purposes I'd be a dead man long ago...

Conor

damn wavelengh why do u have to be such a geek. the guys just trying to give advice. maybe u should try giving advice. most of your posts on this website are complaints. please just stop being a whiney little bitch.

TheGroceryman

Silver Member
damn wavelengh why do u have to be such a geek. the guys just trying to give advice. maybe u should try giving advice. most of your posts on this website are complaints. please just stop being a whiney little bitch.
lmao. Thats such a joke, wavelength is probably one of the most useful members on this forum. I can say that he and he alone has helped me tremendously on my technique and overall drumming ability in sooo many ways. keep doing what your doing wavelength.

BattleArmor

Silver Member
Way to be mature.

Anyway, I like to just do doubles, singles, and parradiddles on a pillow, with heavier sticks than what I use.

Wavelength

Platinum Member
most of your posts on this website are complaints. please just stop being a whiney little bitch.
I don't remember typing over one thousand complaints. Five hundred tops! And even then the majority of those are just humor sans smileys -- which some people equate to no humor at all...

As for the latter remark... you must've mistaken me for these little guys.

jonescrusher

Pioneer Member
You're a fool, and you've embarrassed yourself. Go now.

Mats

Speed

Why can olympic runners run so fast? They train. Because of the strain on their muscles their body produces more muscle mass, more mitochondria and more capillaries throughout the muscle. The oxygen that's in the blood can now be transported faster to the muscle cells and therefore the muscle can work faster. -> Biology!

Stamina

Why can olympic runners run for so long? They train...again. Because of the strain on their hearts and lungs their body enlarges them. One breath can absorb more oxygen into the blood circulation. The athlete doesn't need to as much energy as the couch potatoe to run and therefore lasts longer. -> Biology again!

Drumming

Of course drumming is so much about being mentally able to play rhythms, solos and everything but being healthy is also an important factor.
An untrained person, heated up by headlights will wear out during a concert and in addition gets cramps in arms and legs. To drink water is one necessity, but also warming up and at least an average fitness.

Go swimming!

Very good for arms and legs. It also keeps your back straight and it's one of the healthiest sports ever. The water itself can be a great experience for new songs and solos.

Keep your eyes open and be open-minded for anything that can be illustrative.

MaDaBe

I used to play on a pillow. I'd heard that doing that wasn't a good thing. It does build stamina and strength but nothing's ever gonna be better than playing on a drum or a practice pad. Going from a pillow to a pad or drum . . . there's some adjustment there.

intheruff

'Pillow and pad both with balance Grasshopper.'

Mucksters got it! ALL things with good balance. Besides the basic rudiments on the pillow or drum, a good precursor for eventual speed/stamina/control/breathing/concentration/and maybe sex too is...
with meter first set at a doable tempo (slow it down road runner), keep the bass steady on the 1/4's with the hh snapping off the 2's and 4's, then play 1/8s with the right hand on the (?), and with the left on the pillow/snare (opposite if left handed) play... one e + uh TWO (accent) (rest) + ah three e + (rest) FOUR (accent) e + (rest)... repeat indefinatly. Work it up to at least 120, or better, bpm. Best to start on a pad or drum to utilize the 'bounce'. It'll kill ya' using the pillow... your arm WILL fall off...

Conor

okay ill admit i was a little imature but it just seems to me most of his posts say something along the lines of. "you should use the search function more"

Phat_Rolls

I don't usually use a pillow, I like Jojo Mayers technique of adding towels one layer at a time to you practice surface.