Specific techniques

Mukund

i really wanna apologise for posting so many threads
i promise this is my last thread for sometime
i am really sorry

ok so on topic-

1.Do you have a specific technique?(for hands and legs)
or do u keep switching everyday?

2.Do rely on rebound or bounce for speed or try different techniques like moeller so that u dont have to rely on bounce ?(please mention some non rebound techniques for speed too :) )

and my last question-
3.Can anyone tell me john blackwell's foot technique?
he is so fast with single bass and i sure he is not using swivel,heel toe or slide or anything
so what is his technique?

-
Mukund

Arky

Platinum Member
i really wanna apologise for posting so many threads
I was just going to help you remember this...
i promise this is my last thread for sometime
Let's see ;-)
1.Do you have a specific technique?(for hands and legs)
or do u keep switching everyday?
Sure, everybody uses certain techniques. Some have (need/want to learn) more techniques, some come along with less. But don't overthink technique as a whole - you might actually lose a good deal of time cracking your brain on technique. Take the time to experiment which techniques make most sense for you/your playing and which ones you actually need for the stuff you're playing.
2.Do rely on rebound or bounce for speed or try different techniques like moeller so that u dont have to rely on bounce ?(please mention some non rebound techniques for speed too :) )
That's up to everybody. I think it's good to learn/do both - basically it's a must because on the drumset you have elements with different playing feel (more - less - almost no rebound) so there might be situations when you can apply rebound or need to actually play with your wrists. ---- A non-rebound technique is... using your wrists. No mysteries involved.
3.Can anyone tell me john blackwell's foot technique?
he is so fast with single bass and i sure he is not using swivel,heel toe or slide or anything
so what is his technique?
Judging from the YouTube snippets off his DVD he's playing constant release. You absolutely have to learn this if you want to emulate his technique. Heel-toe is similar to a good degree so you might check that technique out also. One of the challenges of constant release - if you're applying it to not "just" playing, say, constant 8th notes but actually grooves/note groupings that you have to acquire the muscle control/memory to do specific note groupings like 3, 4, 5 etc. notes. Work on that (this is what's on my list also) and this should really help.

Many drummers are applying this or a quite similar foot technique, e.g. Steve Smith, JoJo Mayer. Google "jojo mayer foot technique" for some cool stuff (and amazing grooves).

-----

Overall I'd say: Learn as many techniques as possible (that's my approach) - they all have their benefits.

Last edited: