Special or odd dates that you've had a gig

I played a motorcycle club outdoor summer bash in a NJ field once in the early 80's put on by The Breed. Hole. Lee. Crap.

Methamphetamine, M-80's thrown on the stage and violence were the highlights.
I bet they call that "Wednesday". :LOL:

Oh yeah, I forgot about a place south of Jacksonville NC- one "campus" with two separate clubs that shared a parking lot (and owned by the same person), one a strip club and one a dance/live music bar. Many of the ladies across the parking lot would come over and either didn't realize or didn't care that the intent was that the music club had different boundaries and intended setting than the strip club. ;):D

I guess we're getting away from the OP topic...

I played a motorcycle club outdoor summer bash

Me too - a Harley convention. Lucky for us they partied hard - all night - the night before.. so when we showed up the next night they were a pretty tame, hungover, bunch. I think most were in bed by 11!

In the 80's in my first Country band I played in, we played after the male burlesque show was over.

There were no guy patrons allowed except for the workers and performers.

There were literally 700 women there watching male burlesque.

You could detect the excitement in the air if you get my drift.

I have a database of all the gigs I've ever played - all of them! - so it's easy to sort special dates that I've played. Mine are:

Birthday (Aug 18) - 18 gigs
Leap year Feb 29 - 5
July 4 - 13
Halloween gigs - 10
Christmas - 0
New Year's Eve - 19

How many of each type have you done?

I have had many odd gig's, but not sure about dates. I used to keep every poster/flyer when my punk band played in the late 90's early 00's. Then I kept the digital ones.

I really wish I had made a database from early on. I do have a list of the larger bands I have shred the stage with though.

Halloween would be a big one. I seem to always play Halloween and have to drum in a costume.

I’ve played a few birthdays and anniversaries that really I should have planned around, so last year when we started booking for 2020 I marked myself as being unavailable for my, my wife’s and my son’s birthday weekends as well our wedding anniversary.
I’ve played about 3 Halloweens, 2 of which were full on fancy dress affairs for both band and audience and I think 2 New Year’s Eves. I won’t say we got ripped off with those two gigs, we allowed ourselves to get ripped off, and I steadfastly refuse to play a New Year’s Eve again. It seems that in my neck of the woods afternoon gigs on New Year’s Day are now the thing but I value my family time too much to accept gigs on those dates if we get an offer.

Have a standing gig every St. Patrick's day at a local craft brewery, in a hipster neighborhood.

Played an out door private party/football watch party. Were were paid to play pregame festivities, between quarters, halftime, and a brief set (5 songs) after the game. All Food, beverage, and even a watch table were provided for us, humorous band tour T-shirts made for everyone there including us. Best of all, It was my alma mater (THE Ohio State University) playing and winning, and got paid well to do it!

A few times on my birthday and some various holidays over the years on the kit and the marching snare . But the truly special and memorable ones ( can’t remember all the dates , there were too many ) were the ones with my F.O.P pipe band for the funerals for police officers and firefighters in the days , months and the year following September 11th. They were also the most difficult , but it was truly my honor to be able to do this for these first responders and my fellow officers in PD, some of whom I knew .

I've had practices on kids' birthdays, and I've had a gig or two on anniversaries. My family is really cool though, my kids and my wife. None of them are hung up on dates. We celebrate when it's convenient and don't hold fast to specific days. We would rather pick out a day close to a birthday and spend the day celebrating as opposed to trying squeeze in cake and ice-cream on school days where homework and studying take place in addition to me coming home late from work etc.

I've had practices on kids' birthdays, and I've had a gig or two on anniversaries. My family is really cool though, my kids and my wife. None of them are hung up on dates. We celebrate when it's convenient and don't hold fast to specific days. We would rather pick out a day close to a birthday and spend the day celebrating as opposed to trying squeeze in cake and ice-cream on school days where homework and studying take place in addition to me coming home late from work etc.

Exactly the same here with my family . Much more enjoyable ??

Last edited:
Interesting you mention Leap Day, Bermuda... I've got a gig tomorrow. Wasn't even thinking about it till now.

Have a standing gig every St. Patrick's day at a local craft brewery, in a hipster neighborhood.

Played an out door private party/football watch party. Were were paid to play pregame festivities, between quarters, halftime, and a brief set (5 songs) after the game. All Food, beverage, and even a watch table were provided for us, humorous band tour T-shirts made for everyone there including us. Best of all, It was my alma mater (THE Ohio State University) playing and winning, and got paid well to do it!

Now that sounds like FUN !

For the past 5 years I have had a gig on my wife's birthday & also our wedding anniversary................ It's her 50th this year & yep, I have a gig!!!

For the past 5 years I have had a gig on my wife's birthday & also our wedding anniversary................ It's her 50th this year & yep, I have a gig!!!
Let's see, wife's once in a lifetime 50th birthday...or a gig I've done hundreds of times, hmmm...

Back