Special music

Auspicious

Hello, everyone.

I spend much more time listening to music then.. playing. I have a job using a computer where it's often possible for me to listen to music all day long at the job and in the evenings at home, I have a good sound system setup at home to enjoy my music as best as I can.. I pretty much listen to music all the time. Lately, because of the Covid-19 I relocated my office to a school backstage in a gymnasium (one of our buildings), I work there, it's archive of plans room, I am alone and I installed a sound system there too :p. Incredible stunt lol.

I have a drum kit where I try to practice as a hobby (at home), took it out of the boxes 1 month ago and enjoying it again but I am having a very very hard time imagining me on a stage, but I love good drumming, of course.

And the point of this thread.. I have favorite songs, pieces I just can't listen to if the moment is not right. I forbid myself from listening to my very best music all the time to prevent me from being tired of listening to it. The moment, the timing, the mood, the time of the day, the sound system, everything needs to be aligned for me to pick a special track to listen to.

Even If I thought about it for 1 week, I let the desire grow. (I think the same thing can apply with sex, but that's another story)

--> When it's time to listen, I get extreme emotional effect, occasionally it's pushing me to tears of joy.

I was wondering if anybody experienced something like that too, forbidding themselves... Do you also have some rituals for some of your special music?

Lately I discovered the album Duck from Genesis and the 2 last tracks called Duke's travel and Duke's end they are staggering... it's almost throwing me off my chair. I just finished listening to the whole album about 30 minutes ago, from start to finish and it was a real event. At the end of the album, when it was time to listen to Duke's traval, I even took the cat out of the room and pushed the sound the sound system volume to it's higher level. :)

I thought about this work of art for 1 week and I just finished listening to it in perfect conditions.. 30 minutes ago, it was incredible.

Don't know how to call this but it's probably strange approch to music.. anyways perhaps I am not the only one doing this.

C.M. Jones

Don't feel bad for listening to music more than you drum. Listening is a beneficial form of practice in and of itself. When you encounter rhythms and establish intimacy with them, they transfuse mind and body, making neural connections that significantly bolster your drumming. Just as reading is an essential mode of training for writing, listening is a crucial preparation for drumming. The two are inseparably momentous. Grant both the attention they deserve.

D

Deleted member 525878

All music lovers have emotional reactions to music.
I've learned so much music simply by listening to it, before getting on the drumset and working on mechanics.
I consider myself an audiophile, and I spend a few hours daily in my music room listening, learning, and enjoying with a few different formats: LP, CD, CDR, and MiniDisc.
"Music is a laxative for a constipated life."

Winston_Wolf

Platinum Member
I definitely have music I prefer to listen to in "special" circumstances if possible. As you mentioned in an empty room with the sound system pushed to its limits. Or on good headphones if I wasn't in the mood to share with the whole neighborhood.

I'm not sure I've ever not listened to something if I couldn't do it that way though.

Nice shout out to Duke, too. That's an amazing album and the drumming is a lot of fun and some of it deceptively hard, especially Duke's Travel's/End.

No Way Jose

Silver Member
There is too much music to listen to even in one day. You have to choose what you want to hear. I can understand that.

You only practice drums once a month?

Auspicious

Don't feel bad for listening to music more than you drum. Listening is a beneficial form of practice in and of itself. When you encounter rhythms and establish intimacy with them, they transfuse mind and body, making neural connections that significantly bolster your drumming. Just as reading is an essential mode of training for writing, listening is a crucial preparation for drumming. The two are inseparably momentous. Grant both the attention they deserve.
I agree 100%

There is too much music to listen to even in one day. You have to choose what you want to hear. I can understand that.

You only practice drums once a month?
Hello! I had the drums for a couple of years and practiced lightly, mostly exercises in jazz books, very slow evolution, I am learning Jazz, bop drumming. I was told to play anything to be a better all rounder drummer, but I never did it so far, being so unsatisfied with my evolution in Jazz.

The drums went into boxes 5 years ago not because I didn't like it, i was trapped in a "I don't like people" phase back then, this alone stripped my motivation completely. The efforts of practicing the drums without the ultimate goal of playing with people eventually.

Lately I had a discussion on another forum and a person convinced me to get the drums out, which is what I did, and so far after 1 month, I didn't really thought about joining a band or anything.. I played along with some pieces using my headphones and had satisfaction, it was even fun at some level.

Like C.M. Jones said, I listened and discovered a lot of new music and tapping on my desk. I evolved with that only.

I took the drums out about 1 month ago, now I practice almost every day maybe 25 minutes. But for me it's not very much compared to the amount of hours I listen to music in one day, that's what I meant.

All music lovers have emotional reactions to music.
I've learned so much music simply by listening to it, before getting on the drumset and working on mechanics.
I consider myself an audiophile, and I spend a few hours daily in my music room listening, learning, and enjoying with a few different formats: LP, CD, CDR, and MiniDisc.
"Music is a laxative for a constipated life."
hahahah this is gold.

Rock Salad

I have albums I will only listen to all the way through too, and yes I save it up for when I am ready too.
I hate "bonus tracks" on those! It was already perfect. Put them on a separate disc or something

johnwesley

Silver Member
I really have nothing to say that won't be taken the wrong way but do have a question. What kind of work do you do that your office is in back of the gym stage?

C.M. Jones

I have albums I will only listen to all the way through too, and yes I save it up for when I am ready too.
I hate "bonus tracks" on those! It was already perfect. Put them on a separate disc or something
Ha! I know what you mean, Rock Salad. Bonus tracks are usually bad tracks. They're added to good albums so they can borrow their merit. Alone, bonus tracks would be consigned to the flames, precisely where many belong.

GetAgrippa

Platinum Member
I don’t get sexual responses but definitely chill bumps, hair standing on end and sometimes intoxicated with joyous tears -like some would compare as a “ religious-like” experience and being close to the infinite. I get that. Sometimes songs remind me of my youth and those experiences. Music transcends itself snd emerges in you in special ways. Why everyone likes it- we can all relate but also hold a special place.

GOOSE72

Hello, everyone.

I spend much more time listening to music then.. playing. I have a job using a computer where it's often possible for me to listen to music all day long at the job and in the evenings at home, I have a good sound system setup at home to enjoy my music as best as I can.. I pretty much listen to music all the time. Lately, because of the Covid-19 I relocated my office to a school backstage in a gymnasium (one of our buildings), I work there, it's archive of plans room, I am alone and I installed a sound system there too :p. Incredible stunt lol.

I have a drum kit where I try to practice as a hobby (at home), took it out of the boxes 1 month ago and enjoying it again but I am having a very very hard time imagining me on a stage, but I love good drumming, of course.

And the point of this thread.. I have favorite songs, pieces I just can't listen to if the moment is not right. I forbid myself from listening to my very best music all the time to prevent me from being tired of listening to it. The moment, the timing, the mood, the time of the day, the sound system, everything needs to be aligned for me to pick a special track to listen to.

Even If I thought about it for 1 week, I let the desire grow. (I think the same thing can apply with sex, but that's another story)

--> When it's time to listen, I get extreme emotional effect, occasionally it's pushing me to tears of joy.

I was wondering if anybody experienced something like that too, forbidding themselves... Do you also have some rituals for some of your special music?

Lately I discovered the album Duck from Genesis and the 2 last tracks called Duke's travel and Duke's end they are staggering... it's almost throwing me off my chair. I just finished listening to the whole album about 30 minutes ago, from start to finish and it was a real event. At the end of the album, when it was time to listen to Duke's traval, I even took the cat out of the room and pushed the sound the sound system volume to it's higher level. :)

I thought about this work of art for 1 week and I just finished listening to it in perfect conditions.. 30 minutes ago, it was incredible.

Don't know how to call this but it's probably strange approch to music.. anyways perhaps I am not the only one doing this.

You said like quite a few things that are not quite right. I think you said it best. It's probably strange.

J-W

You said like quite a few things that are not quite right. I think you said it best. It's probably strange.
What exactly did the OP say that isn't quite right? It seems it was another person who exposed their perversions.

J-W

Not sure what you mean?
I'm not sure how to say it in simpler words.......

What parts of Auspicious' post "isn't quite right"?......or makes it "probably strange"?
In other words, I'm not sure what you meant with your post.