SPD-SX not powering on

GrimmReefer

Help guys! My Roland SPD-SX worked fine this past Saturday at a gig. I pulled it out last night simply to test it with a new mixer I got and the thing would not power on. I tried plugging in to different outlets with no success.

I have already ordered a new power cable and fingers crossed that is the issue. I am just curious if anyone else had this issue and if they were able to easily fix it.

Just to be clear, the unit received no power at all, not even a flicker.

Thanks!

New Tricks

Platinum Member
That is $cary.

I have one that occasionally doesn't want to power on, but it always comes through eventually (so far). I don't like the kind of on/off switching system they use. It's not a standard mechanical switch like on most gear. It seems wimpy/delicate.

I have a voltage tester/meter so I would have tested the power supply output before ordering a new one.

lukez

Let me know how you make out.

I have a SPD-30 that also won't turn on.

A little while before the power completely failed, the machine started turning itself off shortly after I turned it on (usually 30 seconds to 2 minutes before it would shut off). Green light on the adapter still glows.

When it was staying on for longer than a couple minutes at a time, the output volume would unpredictably go up and down. No matter how hard I hit the pads, it would be very quiet, then louder, then quiet again, etc. It was like someone was turning a volume knob up and down.

dboomer

The power pin jacks are notorious for breaking free from the pcb. If you are so inclined you might try resoldering it to the board.

GrimmReefer

Well the PDU was not the problem. I have no idea what may have happened to cause my mixer and sampler to fail at the same time with no previous issues.

The sampler is currently in the shop. I am just hoping for an inexpensive repair.

New Tricks

Platinum Member
I have no idea what may have happened to cause my mixer and sampler to fail at the same time with no previous issues.
Exactly the same time?

At home or at a gig?

In the US syatem, there is a common electrical wiring failure scenario in which up to 240 volts can be sent to the 120 volt receptacles. If you ever notice lights getting brighter for a moment, that is the first sign.

GrimmReefer

Exactly the same time?

Actually no, not at the same time. I played a gig last Saturday and the mixer wouldn't power on. The Sampler worked fine. I replaced the mixer after testing the PDU and set up the rig just to test it. That's when the sampler would not power on either. Not sure what happened at all. Nothing was dropped nor did it get wet or anything like that.

I'll know more when the shop gives me a call with the bad news lol

Elpecs

Hey man!!

Sorry to revive this thread, but actually have the same problem. What ended up happening?

GrimmReefer

Unfortunately the motherboard fried on me. Some sort of power surge must have blown the mixer my previous gig and then the sampler died out the following gig. Just a guess as to what happened as i don't really know.

Bottom line is I had to take it to the shop. $400 bucks later I had a new motherboard and a wiped sampler to start from scratch with. Fun times.

Elpecs

Unfortunately the motherboard fried on me. Some sort of power surge must have blown the mixer my previous gig and then the sampler died out the following gig. Just a guess as to what happened as i don't really know.

Bottom line is I had to take it to the shop. $400 bucks later I had a new motherboard and a wiped sampler to start from scratch with. Fun times.
That sucks big time, thanks for taking the time to reply!!

dpflug

I’ve had issues with my power button where it just doesn’t turn on right away. I noticed if I hit the pad a few times it’ll come on after that. Maybe somethings loose? Any insight?

Jimbob123

I’ve had issues with my power button where it just doesn’t turn on right away. I noticed if I hit the pad a few times it’ll come on after that. Maybe somethings loose? Any insight?
Cam here to say this worked for me. Whenever they do the Roland spd 3 I hope they address this extremely concerning issue. It’s happened a lot to me.

Catapultjim

Hey guys, came here also to confirm:

Holding the power and hitting the pads worked for me.

I was panicked right before sound check but literally checked this thread and tried hitting the pads and pressing power and damn if it did t power on. Not sure what magic is at work here but going to have to get a backup and put this one in the shop. Just FYI. Good luck!

Jimbob123

The same thing has happened to me numerous times over the past couple of years. I gig 100+ times a year and every few months the unit decides it doesn’t want to power up. Holding down the power button and whacking the pads has always worked so far. It’s so frustrating that this happens with such an expensive piece of gear though!

The way the power connects via that pin, the flakey on/off button, and this issue where it decides not to boot up are the only blemishes on what is otherwise a perfect product.

Edit: if anyone figures out wth is going on please enlighten us and post on this thread! :)

KEEF

Also suffered this issue - will try the hold and hit method next time it happens!!
I have taken to NOT removing the adaptor from the unit. Ball-ache packing it away with the lead still attached but as it's a known weakness, I'll live with it.

Catapultjim

Jimbob, thanks for the heads up, I am definitely concerned, I have 60 kits etc in there and my show is dead without it. I have them backed up on a drive but I actually need a second SPD-SX to run it :) Maybe that is Roland's plan :) Like you said, I have been using this for maybe 2-3 years and it has been rock solid then out of the blue, nothing on Saturday. Arguably one of the worst feelings in the world...

KEEF - I do the same thing, I have it mounted on a stand and don't remove the power. I am super careful with it but this is a little crazy. I just thank goodness for this thread, it was a lifesaver at soundcheck. I couldn't believe it worked. Saved my tail and the show for sure!!