SPAM

bermuda

Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator
Staff member
The problem with spammers is that they become registered users, and therefore can post what they want. A secure server doesn't necessarily keep them out. Also, the occasional spam posts you see are a pittance compared to the amount that the forum software catches, hides, and flags for the mods to handle manually. One evening a few weeks ago, I deleted about 900 spam posts that were made within a few hour period.

Also worth noting that the anti-spam algorithms aren't perfect. Sometimes a legit post from a longtime member will get flagged, and if we're not paying very close attention to the names we're about to ban, that member gets accidentally included. That happened to PFOG not long ago. :O

But the software learns from the posts that get through and are subsequently marked as spam by us, and it gets a little smarter each day. I used to go through and pre-ban prospective members based on a few criteria, but it was herculean task, and my choices weren't always accurate. This forum gets between 300-500 'people' signing up every day! Instead, it's simpler and far less time-consuming to approve them, and ban them after they make the posts.

Bermuda

GetAgrippa

Platinum Member
Personally I like the "hands on" moderation. As mentioned technology can't flag everything. Reminds me of grad school, there were two professors (they did research on cardiac muscle) that had written a program to flag articles in their field so they could keep abreast (they had little time to scour library and internet). I would research all the faculties research in my department and would find articles all the time to bring to them they hadn't seen (brownie points for me)-after a couple of years they dropped it because they were missing so many and would have their grad students do as I was doing. On a positive note SPAM is pretty good pan fried on a sandwich.

pgm554

Platinum Member
All a https cert does is verify the site you visit is a legit site and not a high jacked redirect.

I've seen perfect reconstructs of sites like Network Solutions without the lock leading to stolen passwords and credit card numbers.

In some cases ,like the New York Times or Miami Dolphins websites,the redirects can run scripts looking for browser vulnerabilities (Flash)or web pages like the false AV infections that make them damn near impossible to close.

It is a relatively cheap SSL cert though and in some cases free.

Pain in the ass though as the length of validity of the certs has gone from 3 years to 2.

mkelley

From a web dude for 25 years:

• https doesn't slow a site down.
  • https doesn't deter spammers
  • https does secure logins, the free, https anywhere is a good place to start

cbphoto

Gold Member
Great thread. I’ve participated in forums since the days of Prodigy and Usenet (because I could find answers to my problems like a tourist at the oracle’s mountaintop) and find this forum/site fast loading and very easy to navigate (has anyone ever used Yahoo!Groups?).

The spam bots are few & far between, thanks to our terrific mods. The now-extinct Tama forum would get hammered with spam posts ‘cuz there was no one hired to mind it.

opentune

Platinum Member
I log on at least once a day and don't encounter much if any spam on here. Clearly the hunters are getting their prey.
Kudos to mods for their great job on this.

Pocket-full-of-gold

Platinum Member
Last edited:

bermuda

Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator
Staff member
I log on at least once a day and don't encounter much if any spam on here. Clearly the hunters are getting their prey.
Kudos to mods for their great job on this.
Thanks, although the credit really goes to the forum's software that identifies and flags possible spam posts for the mods to see, but are hidden to the members. Just yesterday I handled about 200 spam posts made by about a dozen 'members'. Photo shows what the mods see (screen grab from about 10 mins ago.)

But there's still some that slip through, and those may be harder to find because they're not flagged by the software, and often buried in existing threads that the mods may not happen to read. So the members really help by reporting those posts so we can quickly remove them and ban the users.

Bermuda

Attachments

GruntersDad

Administrator - Mayor
Staff member
Thanks, although the credit really goes to the forum's software that identifies and flags possible spam posts for the mods to see, but are hidden to the members. Just yesterday I handled about 200 spam posts made by about a dozen 'members'. Photo shows what the mods see (screen grab from about 10 mins ago.)

But there's still some that slip through, and those may be harder to find because they're not flagged by the software, and often buried in existing threads that the mods may not happen to read. So the members really help by reporting those posts so we can quickly remove them and ban the users.

Bermuda
the good thing with the software is that as loong as the threads are by the same name, they can all be deleted and banned at once.