Soundhoops Drum Mics

NouveauCliche

A high quality mic - tucked away IN your drum hoop - low profile - quality sound.

I had never seen or heard of these before - I do like the concept though:

Anyone have an experience with these? (I'm not sure I'll be able to get a set because of the Gretsch 5 lug hoops - but could be a cool solution for someone!)

KamaK

Platinum Member
Thoughts

1: Mic mounts/clips for drums need to be breakaway. If they are not, you'll have high mic/cable/rim breakage, as most of us with the metal-clipped Shure DMK57-52 can attest. When Dave trips over a cable, the $2 mic/rim-clip should be the fuse, not the $20 cable, $100 mic, or $200 drum.

2: The design of this rim prevents stacking for transport/storage. Worse, it will cause damage if the drums are stacked.

NouveauCliche

Thoughts

1: Mic mounts/clips for drums need to be breakaway. If they are not, you'll have high mic/cable/rim breakage, as most of us with the metal-clipped Shure DMK57-52 can attest. When Dave trips over a cable, the $2 mic/rim-clip should be the fuse, not the $20 cable, $100 mic, or $200 drum.

2: The design of this rim prevents stacking for transport/storage. Worse, it will cause damage if the drums are stacked.

Ahhhh - Very real world concerns - imagine someone knocking a floor tom off a rise and losing a tom and a mic all at the same time.

Interesting!

WallyY

Platinum Member
Not to worry.
It looks like the mic is removable and there are replaceable inserts. That solves the stacking and damage problem.
The hoops are about 79 euros. Mic sold separately for about 149 euros.
When you can get a clip-on Sennheiser or AKG mic for about 129 euros/dollars, it's a niche product.

And those hoops look like stick choppers.

KamaK

Platinum Member
Not to worry.
It looks like the mic is removable and there are replaceable inserts. That solves the stacking and damage problem.

I wasn't worried about the mic, I was worried about the protruding bit of 1.8mm sheet metal cutting through the head and marring the bearing edge of the drum above it in the stack.

I'm also not a fan of the tangential mic alignment. I mean, why would I do that?

bermuda

Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator
Staff member
I'm also not a fan of the tangential mic alignment. I mean, why would I do that?
Yep. I've never had a drum mic placed like that. This product gives no options. Also looks like there would be a lot of stress on the connector.

Anyway, mic companies have already addressed drum miking solutions.

Sonor1971

Was ist der Frequenzbereich?
Gibt es einen Proximity-Effekt?
Für das Snare-Mikrofon beträgt der Frequenzgang: 30 bis 15.000 Hz und für das Tom-Mikrofon 30 bis 20.000 Hz.
Regarding your second question, both microphones are condenser and not dynamic mics.